PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Ubuntu for Android

CybaCowboy
September 2nd, 2012, 01:34 AM
Hi,

Pretty self-explanatory - how do I actually install "Ubuntu for Android (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android)" on my Sony Xperia S (http://www.sonymobile.com/xperias), and where can I download it from (the Ubuntu for Android (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android) page doesn't seem to have any download links...)?

cwsnyder
September 2nd, 2012, 01:41 AM
This article: http://www.redmondpie.com/install-and-run-ubuntu-on-your-android-device-with-ubuntu-installer-download-now/ includes links to http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/p/working-devices.html for hardware requirements and https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zpwebsites.ubuntuinstall for an Android Market link to download to your Android device if it is a supported device.

CybaCowboy
September 3rd, 2012, 06:33 AM
That article shows that other users have successfully run "Ubuntu for Android" on their Xperia S smartphones, however the Google Play Store link you provided claims that the item is not found!

deadflowr
September 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Actually, all those links only provide how-tos for running Ubuntu ON Android. Ubuntu for Android has not been released yet, and will be release to OEMs as it will be very hardware-specific.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/107760/will-ubuntu-for-android-be-fully-open-source

Porting Ubuntu to an Android device will not be the same as Ubuntu for Android.

CybaCowboy
September 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
So let me get this right - Ubuntu for Android will not officially be made available to the general public, and only OEMs?

Edit: Now that I've had a look from the computer (I was on my smartphone before), I think I see what you mean... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the links you've provided point to an unofficially ported version of Ubuntu that's targeted at the general public, whilst the "Ubuntu for Android" to which I am referring is an official version that's specifically targeted at OEMs?

Have I understood this correctly?

bmullan
September 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM
So let me get this right - Ubuntu for Android will not officially be made available to the general public, and only OEMs?

Edit: Now that I've had a look from the computer (I was on my smartphone before), I think I see what you mean... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the links you've provided point to an unofficially ported version of Ubuntu that's targeted at the general public, whilst the "Ubuntu for Android" to which I am referring is an official version that's specifically targeted at OEMs?

Have I understood this correctly?

There are many people that have installed Ubuntu "in a chroot" environment on android in their phone or tablet. That is NOT the same thing as the "Ubuntu on Android" that you can see on multiple videos on say YouTube.

As a previous poster commented... those youtube video's are showing an integration that Canonical is offering phone manufacturers. It also requires a phone that has a docking capability.. because to utilize Ubuntu on Android you need to be able to dock the phone to a USB smart hub that connects an LCD display, keyboard, mouse etc.

see the following URL
Click here to view Ubuntu on Android running on a Motorola Atrix-2 (http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/ubuntu-for-android-seen-running-on-a-motorola-atrix-2-2012057/)

jaithehulk
September 8th, 2012, 08:51 AM
So Ubuntu for Android... If and when will it be available on a Samsung S3? I would love to install Ubuntu in my S3 Android ICS..

CybaCowboy
September 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM
As a previous poster commented... those youtube video's are showing an integration that Canonical is offering phone manufacturers.

Uh huh, good luck with that.

Given how few manufacturers (mainstream manufacturers in particular) have embraced the PC version of Ubuntu and offer it pre-installed, I'm not going to hold my breathe...

Let's not forget that not only is the telecommunications industry far more "closed" than the PC industry, but there is little reason manufacturers are going to offer "Ubuntu for Android" when:
A) Android is already Open Source, with very little propriety code and more importantly,
B) It's highly likely that at some point in the near future, Google will implement something similar anyway (as it stands, many Android applications offer "PC-like" functionality already and with minimal tweaking, the "tablet" version of Android would be perfect to replace the desktop, when combined with a physical keyboard...)!

Some of the biggest names in the telecommunications industry have already began experimenting with similar functionality, and Google have hinted at taking a similar path to "Ubuntu for Android" in the future

Don't get me wrong, I think "Ubuntu for Android" is a fantastic idea and I sincerely hope it takes off (Ubuntu is an operating system with a lot of potential that has never really received the appreciation it deserves...) - heck, if I had it my way, it'd be a standard feature on all new smartphones... But I have to say, you're in for one heck of a fight.

It also requires a phone that has a docking capability.. because to utilize Ubuntu on Android you need to be able to dock the phone to a USB smart hub that connects an LCD display, keyboard, mouse etc.

Actually, HDMI would work just fine too, when combined with bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi...

Again, some of the biggest names in the mobile telecommunications industry have already began experimenting with such functionality, and some have even gone as far as saying it is likely this sort of functionality will be expanded upon in the future!

manojfdo
January 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
hm... I still dont get it....

Mark Phelps
January 20th, 2013, 08:59 PM

Don't get what? We're supposed to be mind readers here and guess WHAT you don't get??

They are two very different things:

Ubuntu on Android
Ubuntu for Android

The latter is a port of Ubuntu that will run as the native OS on an Android phone -- and Canonical is ONLY making this available for OEMs to include with their phones. This is what most folks really want, and at present, it's not something we will be able to download and install.

kibosh81
January 23rd, 2013, 03:33 AM
Just Curious then.... what is all the talk about ubuntu for phones being available on the Galaxy Nexus first? I was under the impression it was going to be released for download at the end of February specifically for that phone. Clearly, Google won't be rereleasing it with Ubuntu on it.... seems a little silly to me... Besides that, I believe the original post was specifically asking about Ubuntu for android which IS the docking version with android still present.

this quote is from http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/ubuntu-phone-os-unveiled-by-canonical

"Although Canonical’s ‘primary market’ will be selling Ubuntu Phones via retail, and making a cut from such sales, you will be able to download and install the phone OS on certain device handsets." ie The galaxy Nexus

hydn79
February 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I think there will be much more interest by the public in Ubuntu for/on/over Android that who they are targeting. Plus, its already murky as the average person is lost as to whats trying to be accomplished.

When I think "Ubuntu" I expect easy & user friendly access to place Ubuntu on what ever pc or device its made for. Without the whole running after manufactures and carries. We're human, give us Ubuntu for smartphones just as how its done for pc's.

pyrodood
April 14th, 2013, 02:11 AM
There seems to be a lot of confusion on the subject of Ubuntu when it comes to phones and mobile devices. I know this is a few months after the quoted post and i am by no means an expert but my understanding as follows.
1. There are people who have installed an run Ubuntu on their phones as a chroot, this is different than Ubuntu for Android in that the latter is supposed to have more integration with the android environment such as calendar, contacts, and such.
2. The idea behind Ubuntu for Android is that you can dock you powerful smartphone and get a decent desktop experience out of it, this in my opinion is an awesome idea.
2.1. for those that say OEM s will not pick ubuntu or that Google won't include Ubuntu. Well Google likely won't include Ubuntu as a desktop in their android system, I don't think they would try to stop an OEM from offering Ubuntu for Android on their devices running android, I could be wrong but just don't see it. There are a lot of reasons an OEM would want to include it. Phones are already quite powerful and this solution might be a quicker and possibly less costlier than waiting for Android iOS or others to evolve desktop capability into their platforms.
2.2. I know Ubuntu for Android is being marketed to OEM s and such, but so is Ubuntu TV and Ubuntu for phones, they have released Ubuntu for phones and tablets as a developer preview, build for nexus devices anyway, I think they might and should do the same for Ubuntu for Android, at least until Ubuntu for phones is more there.
3. Ubuntu for phones and Ubuntu on tablets, is Ubuntu with a user interface specifically designed for mobile devices, this will be a competitor to the Android iOS windows phone blackberry and other mobile OSes and platforms. It may or may not have the desktop available when docked depending on the specs of the phone.