PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 Client shall not connect to NIS Server when it is down

lobosch
September 1st, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hello,

I have a question:
I setup a nis server with different user accounts. On the client i have a lokal user (for administration when network is broken) and the nis configuration to make the nis user from the server available. Of course I also set up a nfs mount for the home directories. I changed the location of the nis user home directories to make the local client user also availble.

This works fine as long as the nis server is active. When I shut it down, the client cannot start. It does not show the login screen. I expected to be able to login than with the local account.

the error is:
ypbind_proc: Domain not bound

do you have any idea? I think it just waits for getting the nis server available, cause when I than start the nisserver, the login is possible than.

how can I tell my client maschine not to wait for nis server...like a time out or a number of retries? or to run in background and not to block the login of local users?

btw. I do not request by broadcasting the network. I tell my clientmaschine which ip he has to look for.

would appreciate any answer.

thank you

robert

lobosch
September 3rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
ok, i found the problem:

/etc/nsswitch my not working version:
passwd: nis compat
shadow: nis compat
group: nis compat

now I changed it to

passwd: compat nis
shadow: compat nis
group: compat nis

Now I can login. The problem is, that it takes a lot of time. Can I set a time out there when nis could not find a user, or the server is down? I use the +::: style in the passwd, group etc. files

would appreciate any help!

Robert