PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Getting indicator applets (volume, etc.) in fluxbox

chogg
September 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
What program runs the indicator applets in Unity? I ask because I want to get them in fluxbox.

I already have the network app, nm-applet, running. It shows up in the bottom right of the toolbar and works just fine. But I don't know what the other applets are called.

Thanks!

chogg
September 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry to bump, but surely it's an easy question for someone who knows the answer, right?

I wanted the network applet in fluxbox. I knew the name of the program ("nm-applet"). I ran that command in fluxbox, and it showed up just fine.

Now I want the volume control applet in fluxbox. How can I go about finding out the name of the command which runs it? Any ideas?

d.atanasov
September 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hi,

I think that systray applet was indicating all the information in the right up corner. Maybe now it is change but you can make some google to find out.

cheers

chogg
September 8th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Your response helped me with some ideas about what to google. Eventually, I found that `gnome-sound-applet` appears to be the closest. However, there are still several important features missing:

There is no popup showing the current volume level. (The indicator-applet shows the level only coarsely: there are three wavefronts coming from a speaker which are either colored or not. It takes about 10 keypresses to change the displayed level!)
In fact, it doesn't appear to handle volume-button keypresses at all! The only reason volume up/down works is because I manually added entries in `~/.fluxbox/keys` mapping them to `amixer` commands. Due to (what I presume to be) a bug in `amixer`, the mute button only mutes and does not unmute. (Yes, I am using the `toggle` command.)

I know the "popup" functions still work, because they do for other applets (e.g. `nm-applet` tells me when my wireless connection is established). So perhaps the question is: why doesn't `gnome-sound-applet` in fluxbox grab my volume keypresses? Or if someone thinks the problem lies elsewhere: what else should I try?