PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opening Synaptic Package Manager

wencyfutado
September 1st, 2012, 07:29 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 is perfect as long as its easy to access the Synaptic Package Manage more easily. Also am unable to find my Internet Applications viz Transmission in one group. Have to mandatorily start the Dash Home and then search for Transmission and then launch it.

If i'm missing something please let me know. Also I find it a tad bit cumbersome to be viewing a screen 1 inch away from the start and not being able to move it to the bottom since mostly all are accustomed to seeing details from the edge of the monitor and not an inch away from it.

Hope to see some responses on this. Thanks.

Frogs Hair
September 1st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hello and Welcome

Open Synaptic and after entering the password the icon will appear in the launcher.Right click the the icon and select lock to launcher. The password prompt icon will appear in the launcher each time Synaptic is opened because the the application requires elevated permissions.

I was also able to add Transmission to the launcher by using right click - lock to launcher but I know what viz is.

brolin_1911a1
September 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
I've installed the Gnome 3 DE in my Ubuntu 12.04 computer and then installed Synaptic using apt-get install synaptic. Synaptic shows up in my Applications/System Tools/Administration menu but, once I click on it and enter my user password, the authentication window closes and synaptic never appears.

Is the problem compatibility with Gnome 3 or with Ubuntu 12.04? Thx.

I tried logging back in with the Unity DE and get the same results. I click on the synaptic icon, get the authentication window, enter my user password, and then nothing except that the synaptic icon in the launchbar blinks once.