PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 15 released, still no HWA for Linux.

Kreaninw
September 1st, 2012, 02:36 AM
HWA can really make difference these day while the websites become more complex. For example, Facebook and Google+ are very smooth on Chrome with HWA on, Firefox is utterly slow. When will this change?

IMO, Firefox is ways behind Chrome on desktop platform, especially Linux platform where latest Flash and HWA are missing. I knew Flash is no future, but it's not death yet as it's being use, and I can't play some Flash game with the older version. Chrome has Pepper Flash for us Linux users, Firefox has none. Another thing is NaCl. Please sent me a proper game developed using Java, HTML5, WebGL or whatever that can be compare to one developed using NaCl. I see no future in Firefox. I may not come back to Firefox again.

As Firefox for Android is doing pretty good now, I'm using it as my default browser. However, bookmarks in Chrome doesn't follow me there. I might have to stick with stock or Chrome for Android T-T

EDIT : More on detail, will Apple sues Firefox for Android for bounch-back scrolling effect? I hate Apple >..<

MadmanRB
September 1st, 2012, 06:18 AM
Yeah firefox is all but dead on linux for me, maybe its time for linux distros to start adopting Chromium and maybe rebranding it so not to get any gruff from anti Google folks.
I am surprised no one has done it yet, sure adopting chrome as default is not ideal as there is the whole privacy issue so chromium is a viable alternative especially since it is compatible with pepper flash.

uRock
September 1st, 2012, 06:32 AM
I've had no problems with Firefox on any of the above mentioned sites. Flash has been working great here.

Jakin
September 1st, 2012, 08:19 AM
Chrome is awesome. Firefox Aurora is growing on me too.
Qpera, is even nice- i use it for its turbo feature when my net is on the fritz.

I have no issues with plugins or their performance across the 3.

smellyman
September 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
Firefox works great for me. chrome/ium still lacks

Rodney9
September 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM
firefox works great for me. Chrome/ium still lacks

+1

vasa1
September 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Same old, same old. Mine is better than yours :)

zombifier25
September 1st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Please sent me a proper game developed using Java, HTML5, WebGL or whatever that can be compare to one developed using NaCl.

BananaBread (https://developer.mozilla.org/media/uploads/demos/a/z/azakai/3baf4ad7e600cbda06ec46efec5ec3b8/bananabread_1346106841_demo_package/game.html?low,low). Don't let the name fool you, it's a full-blown FPS game coded with only open web standard (HTML5, WebGL, Javascript, ...)

(On Linux, you need Firefox 16 in order to run)

vasa1
September 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM
BananaBread (https://developer.mozilla.org/media/uploads/demos/a/z/azakai/3baf4ad7e600cbda06ec46efec5ec3b8/bananabread_1346106841_demo_package/game.html?low,low). Don't let the name fool you, it's a full-blown FPS game coded with only open web standard (HTML5, WebGL, Javascript, ...)

(On Linux, you need Firefox 16 in order to run)
I tried it since I have Fx 16 (the beta hot-n-fresh direct from Mozilla) installed. It works for me on my Dell 1545 laptop but since I'm no good I got a severe thrashing by those jumping green things :(

QQharvester
September 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
Firefox works great for me. chrome/ium still lacks

Still lacks what?

tartalo
September 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM
Still lacks what?

Unless I missed something, Noscript (Notscripts is not a valid alternative in my opinion)

QQharvester
September 1st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Unless I missed something, Noscript (Notscripts is not a valid alternative in my opinion)

Oh, it lacks a specific plugin, not that CHROME itself lacks.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
September 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Oh, it lacks a specific plugin, not that CHROME itself lacks.
addon not plugin

kurt18947
September 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM
I've had no problems with Firefox on any of the above mentioned sites. Flash has been working great here.

Same here though I did have the 'blue man' issue on one machine. Disabling hardware acceleration in flash fixed that. I did make one change that sped up page loading a LOT. In the address bar type "about:config". Search for this line

network.dns.disableIPv6;false

Change the "false" to "true". This made a big difference in perceived speed for me. I imagine that if you have IPv6 it's a different story.

smellyman
September 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Still lacks what?

"zoom text only" for one....Has zoom text but does even a worse job than IE.

jedispork
September 1st, 2012, 03:45 PM
The smugmug uploader does not work that well under ff but works great under chrome. Both seem to have problems with Facebook games when family plays them here. Another annoying thing with ff under linux is you have to use hide caption Titlebar to make it look the same as windows ff.

So is chrome and opera about the only options if ff is no longer viable? What if google also stops caring about Linux support?

vexorian
September 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Firefox is 100% viable :/

HWA can really make difference these day while the websites become more complex. For example, Facebook and Google+ are very smooth on Chrome with HWA on, Firefox is utterly slow. When will this change?

IMO, Firefox is ways behind Chrome on desktop platform, especially Linux platform where latest Flash and HWA are missing. I knew Flash is no future, but it's not death yet as it's being use, and I can't play some Flash game with the older version. Chrome has Pepper Flash for us Linux users, Firefox has none. Another thing is NaCl. Please sent me a proper game developed using Java, HTML5, WebGL or whatever that can be compare to one developed using NaCl. I see no future in Firefox. I may not come back to Firefox again.

As Firefox for Android is doing pretty good now, I'm using it as my default browser. However, bookmarks in Chrome doesn't follow me there. I might have to stick with stock or Chrome for Android T-T

EDIT : More on detail, will Apple sues Firefox for Android for bounch-back scrolling effect? I hate Apple >..<
Firefox is running well in this, can't tell a major difference between it and chromium except that chromium's interface sucks, of course.

Pepper flash is google's own monopolystic move. Blame should go to google for that, not mozilla.

The total number of web sites that need a latest flash versions and are useful amounts to zero.

Google chrome is proprietary. Run a proprietary web browser and you might as well go back to windows 98 times and run IE6.

I see you like acronyms.

MadmanRB
September 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
Pepper flash is google's own monopolystic move. Blame should go to google for that, not mozilla.

Well Adobe played a huge part in it too

The total number of web sites that need a latest flash versions and are useful amounts to zero.

Perhaps right now but if the flash API gets modified and they want the latest version on websites then Firefoxes viability goes down the drain.
We will see what happens if there is a Flash 12, right now we are seeing minor point updates from adobe regarding flash on their supported platforms but if they decide to change the api consider firefox to peter out in linux with more people wanting a browser that supports pepperflash if mozilla doesnt want to pick up the ball.

Google chrome is proprietary. Run a proprietary web browser and you might as well go back to windows 98 times and run IE6.

Well so is opera and a lot of linux users use that.
Sorry but right now we cannot afford to be this picky about what software wants to support us rather it proprietary or not.
Plus flash being proprietary makes you no better then those of us who have chrome as the default until a proper solution to flash is found.
But as it stands the official plugin will only be around for 5 years and who knows how many bugs it will get that cannot be fixed.
Gnash and other flash alternatives are not up to the task of replacing flash, they are still experimental at best and only a few select websites are good with said plugins.
Meanwhile in both chromium and chrome pepperflash will be maintained and any issues associated with flash are smoothed out.
Thats why I am using chrome/ium because i rather use a sure thing rather then some half baked alternative or wait till other browsers come up with a flash alternative.
We will see what things will be like once Mozillas shumway gets rolling.
If Shumway works then I will use it to be sure.

vasa1
September 1st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Plus flash being proprietary ...
Exactly. Pepper or not, those who use Flash use proprietary software. No two ways about it.