PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on Windows 8 Tablets (or Laplets or Tabtops)

UserDemos
August 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi there,

Long time reader, few time poster. I apologize if this is the wrong area for this topic, but figured I'd start in the most general place I could.

With all of the hoop-lah and pizzazz that Windows 8 is stirring up with it's new form factors tablets or laplets or tabtops (whatever you'd like to dub them) running either the RT or Pro version of Windows 8, how likely are we to see Ubuntu running on these machines? Many have detachable keyboards that then turn into touch-screen tablets. Does Ubuntu offer touch-screen keyboards (pardon my ignorance if it does)? How will Ubuntu manage the many different types of ways these devices function and the many things inside? Will it be possible? What about ARM processor support like Tegra 3 and such?

I love some of these form factors and ideas present and would like to try to load Ubuntu onto them, but have no idea about what kind of functionality will be present. With many of them launching in October, I imagine the answers will soon be more apparent, but what does the community think? I still don't know the true functionality of Ubuntu, so it may already be possible for all I know.

Looking forward to hearing some thoughts. :-)

era86
August 31st, 2012, 06:41 PM
Interesting you bring this up as I am curious about it as well. This detachable tablet keyboard form factor looks to be the future of portable computers. I wonder if Ubuntu will be able to work on them nicely.

Copper Bezel
September 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM
The ARM tablets use a locked bootloader, like iPad and like Motorola devices before Google ate them. I'm intrigued to see Ubuntu running on some of these form factors, including the MS Surface, but neither the interface nor the driver base is as touch-friendly as Windows 8 yet.

UserDemos
September 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Seems to be that way. I too am interested in the MS Surface, but the Pro Edition with the i7 core.

Ubuntu might play more friendly with that since it is basically a laptop (with a detachable keyboard), yes? Also, I wonder if Ubuntu plays nice with all those cameras and sensors (GPS, acceleramator, etc)?

Curious what others think.