PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest netbook to run Ubuntu

melrokz
August 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Which is the cheapest netbook with decent specs that can run Ubuntu? Suggestions please.

I found the Samsung NP-N100S-E01IN
http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/notebook/netbook/NP-N100S-E01IN

cariboo
August 31st, 2012, 10:12 PM
This isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

Primefalcon
August 31st, 2012, 10:14 PM
well not sure but I am running it on a 900ha perfectly fine, also have lubuntu running good on a very old 386 system

vexorian
September 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM
Anything that has an Atom CPU should do just fine. I have an Acer netbook from 2009 that runs 12.04 well in gnome-fallback sesion. (Unity is a no, Unity-2D is a maybe)

mamamia88
September 1st, 2012, 02:56 AM
Anything that has an Atom CPU should do just fine. I have an Acer netbook from 2009 that runs 12.04 well in gnome-fallback sesion. (Unity is a no, Unity-2D is a maybe)

Running Arch with xfce on a samsung n130 and it absolutely flies and this is by no means a newer machine. I ran xubuntu on it for awhile and it was great too. Are they even producing newer netbooks anymnore or has that market been abandoned?

TheFu
September 1st, 2012, 03:01 AM
I know you asked for a netbook, but I just built a mini-PC (AMD E350d APU + ATI GPU + 4GB RAM + case for $130. That is the cheapest that I've seen a real-world desktop that can handle 1080p video playback. Full Unity 3D on this box. The only things that don't work well is heavy CPU stuff like transcoding videos or building C/C++ code.

The Raspberry-Pi can run Ubuntu as well - for $35+ shipping, that is much cheaper, but it is not x86 and not a netbook.

Ok, I lied - I have a cheaper Asus Eee 1008H netbook that runs Ubuntu - actually Lubuntu 10.04 great. The only reason that it is cheaper was at B-i-L gave it to me. I think they sell for about $299 still. I've seen $199 netbooks from Dell, but thought another PC had to be purchased at the same time for hat price. The Intel GPU sucks, however. Sucks is putting it nicely.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some options.