PDA

View Full Version : Desktop client for Gmail

moribashi
August 31st, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hi

I am still looking for perfect solution for my emails. I am using my own domain with gmail now, but I was wondering what kind of desktop client are you guys mostly using or you think that the web is the best?

thanks for the feedback!

mamamia88
August 31st, 2012, 06:10 AM
I personally just keep a separate chrome window open on another monitor just for gmail. don't really see the point of a separate app. Especially when thunderbird refuses to put new mail on the top.

cariboo
August 31st, 2012, 06:13 AM
I use Thunderbird to manage all my email accounts, which include one through my ISP, an email alias for my ubuntu.com email address, and two gmail accounts. When I had a domain name, I also used it to mange email using Google apps.

codemaniac
August 31st, 2012, 06:19 AM
I personally just keep a separate chrome window open on another monitor just for gmail. don't really see the point of a separate app. Especially when thunderbird refuses to put new mail on the top.

You can tell thunderbird to sort your mails based on received date , so that newer mails can be shown on the top of the list .

Harvey M
August 31st, 2012, 06:40 AM
I also use Thunderbird as a desktop client for email. I've got it synced with my one and only Gmail address and it does the job excellently. Haven't had a problem yet.

Jakin
August 31st, 2012, 06:41 AM
I used to use Evolution, and then i went to Kmail- gmail and live mail, work fine.
Really, all of the available clients should work with what ever service you have, assuming you give the correct server info.

mastablasta
August 31st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Thunderbird auto configures gmail account. looks quite integrated...
not sure about evolution.

Kmail is good, but they had osme issues with latest upgrade. i think emials saved in old kamail could be lost as they were compatible or something with new. so i don't use it. especially since thunderbird matured fully (dev stopped by mozilla as they didn't come up with any new features worth adding).

SJR Dorset
August 31st, 2012, 08:05 AM
I use chrome with Gmail Offline installed from the Chrome Web Store. It's still in beta but I have found it very good and have installed it in both Ubuntu and Windows.

As mamamia88 says above you can open it in a separate Chrome window and not have to bother with other mail clients.

ajgreeny
August 31st, 2012, 09:41 AM
Another recommendation here for Thunderbird, in spite of Mozilla stopping in-house further development of the application.

I have been using it now for what seems like ever. I've been using Ubuntu since 5.04 or 5.10, and even before that I had been using TB in WinXP.

I've looked at Evolution, but find that incredibly slow, particularly handling images in messages, and it is not so good in my experience at handling gmail, which TB does without so much as a blink, whether using POP3 or IMAP.

I have no real experience of kmail, so will not comment about that, but I have used sylpheed on an old, slow netbook and a similar laptop, and whilst that is fast (superfast actually) it does not display images in-line, or at least, I could not get it to do so.

moribashi
August 31st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Thank You for response. I have tried Thunderbird and I kind of like it. At the moment I keep gmail tab open in chrome and it works well, but I have to say that I still like desktop apps more than web apps. :)

But talking about thunderbird - is there a way to sync mail rules between computers?

GeoffreyBernardo
September 1st, 2012, 01:50 AM

Just order your emails by date descending. You can do this by clicking the Date column until the sortment is correct.

GeoffreyBernardo
September 1st, 2012, 01:53 AM
But talking about thunderbird - is there a way to sync mail rules between computers?

Yes, just copy the $HOME/.thunderbird folder from one computer to the other.

yeehi
September 1st, 2012, 03:07 AM
Since you are talking about gmail, I recommend taking a look at smartr (https://www.xobni.com/download/gmail).

It is not an email client, but a contacts app. It goes through all your gmail history automatically creating contacts for you and intelligently linking them to each other.

You might not want to do this if you don't like the idea of another organization getting access to all your personal contacts information and hosting it on their cloud.

It runs on iphone, blackberry, android and windows.