PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Changing the desktop background in Ubuntu 12.4

merzik
August 30th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 12.4 and can't figure out for the life of me how to change the desktop background to one of my pictures. I am to the point where I think that maybe something is not working right. Here is what I did (following logic and then confirming this with an ubuntu 12.4 help page).
1) Right click on desktop, choose "Change desktop background".
2) Click on a picture in Wallpapers. That works fine. But I want to use one of my own.
3) Click on Wallpapers, choose "Pictures Folder"
4) Click on the + sign. This opens /home/myname/Pictures
5) Pick a picture that I have placed there
6) Click "open".

Nothing happens.

I can try the above again, this time clicking the + sign from "Wallpapers". Nothing happens either.

I have thought of a workaround, but I can't implement it because I can't find the folder where the default images are stored. If I could place my pictures there, my hope is that they would show up along the default images in Wallpaper and then I could use mine.

Where are the default Wallpaper images?

leosubhadeep
August 30th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Why don't you download some cool images to the ~/home/[your name]/Pictures/ folder and consider using them as your desktop background?

coffeecat
August 30th, 2012, 11:49 PM
@merzik, I'm puzzled because what you describe is the way to change your wallpaper with an image in the ~/Pictures folder, and it works in my 12.04 installation.

Anyway, to answer your question, the default wallpapers are stored in /usr/share/backgrounds. Unfortunately, what you suggest didn't work when I tried it - the wallpaper I added to that folder didn't show up in the default set of backgrounds. I was, however, able to set my image as wallpaper from the backgrounds folder by clicking on + and navigating to /usr/share/backgrounds. After clicking on open my selected image became the wallpaper, but the appearance window told me it was in the Pictures Folder, which is odd.

Frogs Hair
August 31st, 2012, 01:59 AM
In order to add backgrounds manually to usr/share/backgrounds in 12.04 the creation of an .xml file and folder is required. Look at the one included with the default wallpapers if you feel ambitious. I don't know why the pictures folder is not working. ???

merzik
September 1st, 2012, 04:23 AM
Like I thought, my installation is buggy. I looked around other threads and tried installing wallch. That did the trick. As a bonus, it does a slide show of the images. I like that.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/09/automatically-change-wallpaper-with-wallch-in-ubuntu-11-0411-10/