PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is data download size for upgrading ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04?

arroy_0209
August 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I am using ubuntu 10.04LTS and getting upgradation notice from update manager. Can anybody please indicate how much data is downloaded for the process?

Is there any way I can back up the existing installed programs along with add-ons or plugins and do a live CD installation and reinstall the previous programs, rather than upgrading directly from 10.04 to 12.04? Since there are so many complains about failure to upgrade successfully, I may not ultimately upgrade but do a fresh installation. Any comments in this regard will be appreciated. Thanks.

beboylips
August 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
When you will run the upgrade application, it will tell you how much it will download and what programs will be updated. Also, which applications are you concerned about?

AlanR8
August 30th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Why do you need to know how big the upgrade is? Is it because you have a capped internet service provider?

Here in the UK with BT option 3, no limits, just do it!

arroy_0209
August 30th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your replies.
Your guess is correct, I have an upper limit for data up and download per month by my ISP.

Regarding the installed programs, I have so far installed latex, sage(math), xfig etc and some plugins and add-ons (latex plugin for gedit, noscript, addblockplus for firefox etc). I will be in trouble in case these do not work successfully after upgrading.

black veils
August 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM
make a note of the specific apps you want to reinstall.

to backup firefox configurations, and other applications, go to your home (your username), press Ctrl + H to show hidden files in your home folder. those are most of the application configurations, but you dont want to backup everything, as you could corrupt your new install (due to switching versions). backup what you need, there are app settings in .config and .cache too.

and remember your actual personal files!