PDA

View Full Version : What happens when your smartphone is lost

yeehi
August 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
There is an interesting study here (http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/about/presskits/b-symantec-smartphone-honey-stick-project.en-us.pdf)about what happens if your smartphone is lost.

Amongst many other interesting findings:

80% of the time personal data is accessed!
50% of the time an attempt is made to contact the owner.

Make sure your data is password protected!

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Even better: don't own a smartphone.

SuperFreak
August 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
even better: Don't own a smartphone.

+1

zombifier25
August 31st, 2012, 07:33 AM
Even better: don't own a smartphone.

That's like saying in order to prevent food poisoning, one must not eat food.

sffvba[e0rt
August 31st, 2012, 08:52 AM
that's like saying in order to prevent food poisoning, one must not eat food.

+1

aysiu
August 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
There is an interesting study here (http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/about/presskits/b-symantec-smartphone-honey-stick-project.en-us.pdf)about what happens if your smartphone is lost.

Amongst many other interesting findings:

80% of the time personal data is accessed!
50% of the time an attempt is made to contact the owner.

Make sure your data is password protected! I actually find those two statistics quite encouraging. I would think the personal data being accessed would be much higher than 80% and that the attempt to contact the owner (presumably to return the phone, right?) would be much lower than 50%.

My wife and I did find an iPhone in a rental car glove compartment. We managed to go through the woman's contacts and dial her husband to arrange to return the phone to her. It all worked out.

tienlbhoc
August 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
I used smartphone few years, I can't give up them :mad:

Roasted
August 31st, 2012, 05:10 PM
That's like saying in order to prevent food poisoning, one must not eat food.

I think this post just won the internet.

aysiu
August 31st, 2012, 06:05 PM
That post is hilarious... but I think a more appropriate analogy would be avoiding car theft by not owning a car. Cars are in many places unnecessary, but they can often be extremely convenient to have. Same with smartphones. Does anyone need a smartphone? No. We don't all eschew needless stuff just so we can avoid said stuff being stolen.

Roasted
August 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM
That post is hilarious... but I think a more appropriate analogy would be avoiding car theft by not owning a car. Cars are in many places unnecessary, but they can often be extremely convenient to have. Same with smartphones. Does anyone need a smartphone? No. We don't all eschew needless stuff just so we can avoid said stuff being stolen.

Personal opinion: regardless of the analogy, the fact still remains that it's a little ridiculous to remove the object in question entirely out of the picture strictly due to precautionary measures alone. You can spin off 1001 scenarios pretty easily with that mentality:

If you don't want your smartphone stolen, don't own a smartphone.
If you don't want food poisoning, don't eat food.
If you don't want your car stolen, don't own a car.
If you don't want your bike stolen, don't own a bike.
If you don't want your house broken into, don't own a house.
If you don't want your wallet stolen, don't carry a wallet.
If you don't want your computer stolen, don't own a computer.
If you don't want X stolen, don't own X.

If that's the case, to be safe from any degree of consequence of owning/doing certain things, we should all own nothing.

QIII
August 31st, 2012, 06:28 PM
For anyone who should decide to give up your worldly possessions in order to keep them from being stolen, I am available to receive them....