PDA

View Full Version : GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

irv
August 30th, 2012, 06:12 PM
GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/gnome-flavoured-ubuntu-spin-coming-october-18th?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=FaceBook)
I don't like it.
First, it cut to much out of Ubuntu.
Second, I really really like Unity, so why would I switch.

OK, what's your take on this?

vasa1
August 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1999827&highlight=gnobuntu

deadflowr
August 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I personally think it's a good thing.
You have an xfce distro, and lxde distro, a kde distro, why not a pure gnome distro.
A lot of people(a lot meaning more than 2) would like to have a pure gnome Ubuntu flavor. At this point in time, the only way someone can run a system as such is through a painstaking process of adding the gnome-shell,classic and then cautiously removing all of the unity features.
I too like Unity and have no real plans to install GNObuntu. But that said, I think it fits in with the other distros just nicely.

BigSilly
August 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think it's a great idea. Brilliant that the Ubuntu community can cover all bases so well.

Would I use it? Possibly so. I'm currently very spoilt for Linux desktops and finding it hard to settle on one, but there's always room on my PC for a Gnome 3 Ubuntu spin. :)

vexorian
August 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/gnome-flavoured-ubuntu-spin-coming-october-18th?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=FaceBook)
I don't like it.

No one is making you switch.

I'll be happily using my unity + gnome-panel install but other people who prefer constantly moving their mouse cursor to the top left corner now have an alternative they can use.

But Abiword instead of libreOffice and epiphany instead of firefox make it sound not very serious.

vasa1
August 30th, 2012, 06:32 PM
But Abiword instead of libreOffice and epiphany instead of firefox make it sound not very serious.
Keeping LibreOffice out may make the .iso fit on a CD (for those who don't prefer DVDs or USBs) ;)

drawkcab
August 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I have an htpc with the community spin w/Gnome Shell. It's great because you can scale Gnome to your television so easily.

Gnome shell with a taskbar or its equivalent (you can install various extensions) is still better than unity in my opinion. Given the direction of the two projects, however, I doubt that will be the case a year from now.

FWIW, Luninux, Pear, Pinguy, etc. all offer customized Gnome shell experiences over ubuntu.

Lucradia
August 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Epiphany is a really horrid browser to use honestly. Same with the vanilla KDE Browser and Midori for XFCE (usually, unless you can get it to use gecko instead of Webkit.)

BigSilly
August 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Epiphany is a really horrid browser to use honestly. Same with the vanilla KDE Browser and Midori for XFCE (usually, unless you can get it to use gecko instead of Webkit.)

Oh I disagree. Rekonq was pretty decent last time I used it in Kubuntu.

Rainstride
August 30th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I don't like it.

You do know that all of the official ubuntu spins like kubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, and so on all share the same exact repos right? witch means if someone files a bug for one spin, all of the spins can benifit from it. unity shares a lot of backend stuff from vanilla gnome, so if someone files a bug report about something in the vanilla spin, theres a pretty good chance my unity desktop will benifit from that. And there is always going to be a lot of people who want a vanilla gnome spin no matter what anyone says, and will go to what ever disto has it. So if ubuntu has it, chances are they will come here, witch means more bugs getting filed and eventually fixed. Witch means better quality repos for everyone. Sounds win, win to me. They get their vanilla gnome, and we get better quality software in the repos.

Primefalcon
August 30th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I don't like it.

I don't really care about Gnome Shell myself I like Unity..... if I was going to switch it'd be to XFCE or LXDE or maybe even KDE... but definitely not gnome3

As it is, I am very much hoping Canonical either fork nautilus or adopt something like dolphin instead... the gnome team seem to be messing everything up!

qamelian
August 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Personally, I'm glad to see this happen. Frankly, the only time I use Unity is on test boxes. On my work machine, I can't get rid of it fast enough. Unity may have improved in some areas with each release, but I still find it much less usable than Gnome-shell.

Use what works best for you. For me, that's Gnome-shell. :)

KiwiNZ
August 30th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I have been trying a Gnome spin for an associate.it's Gnome spin Fedora 17, frankly it is terrible, I doubt that a Gnome spin Ubuntu will be any improvement.

evilsoup
August 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Some people will like it, others won't use it; it can't hurt, so why not?

On a more serious topic, what colour will the [gnomebuntu] forum thread tag be?

Lucradia
August 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I don't really care about Gnome Shell myself I like Unity..... if I was going to switch it'd be to XFCE or LXDE or maybe even KDE... but definitely not gnome3

As it is, I am very much hoping Canonical either fork nautilus or adopt something like dolphin instead... the gnome team seem to be messing everything up!

I used Unity for about 2.5 weeks, and I still didn't like it after, nor GNOME3. I will forever be with LXDE / XFCE as such =/

It probably won't have a tag on UF for about 3 months at least.

KiwiNZ
August 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Some people will like it, others won't use it; it can't hurt, so why not?

White

Jakin
August 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM
If its Gnome 3 (and im sure it is) thats a no go for me... not because i don't like the layout; I really think Gnome 3 has something against my current video card (ati)- it is PAINFULLY slow and stutters..
Though Unity 3D seems so lightweight its ridiculous.

lykwydchykyn
August 30th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Seeing as there have been respins of Ubuntu with every other desktop environment and window manager in the repositories, not having a Gnome respin would be a considerably glaring omission, would it not?

And, hrm, what happened to all the people who were screaming for "Gnobuntu" when 11.04 came out? :confused:

forrestcupp
August 30th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I don't like it.

That's the whole point, right there. You don't like it, and you like Unity, so you wouldn't want to switch. There are a lot more preferences out there that people have than just yours. Personally, I like Gnome Shell way more than Unity. I think it's great to have that choice.

That said, I probably won't use it either. I've recently found out that I like the latest KDE better than them all. It's come a long way since 4.0 when I last tried it.

Jakin
August 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM
That said, I probably won't use it either. I've recently found out that I like the latest KDE better than them all. It's come a long way since 4.0 when I last tried it.

KDE sure gets my vote :)

I still want to have Gnome 3 as a session though, incase i want to mess with it sometime. I like to have all the DE, just to say i have used them.
Hell- i'd have Looking Glass on 12.04 if i could- just to mess with it.

Primefalcon
August 30th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Am I the only one that see's all these.... official spins and kinda silly?

Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, Gubuntu and whatever else....

All of these desktops can easily be gotten via the repo's anyhow, why not just kill them off, and during install ask the user if they want a different desktop.... since we're beyond a CD now anyhow....

KiwiNZ
August 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM

All of these desktops can easily be gotten via the repo's anyhow, why not just kill them off, and during install ask the user if they want a different desktop.... since we're beyond a CD now anyhow....

No I have been saying it for years, fragmentation is more our enemy than OSX or Windows.

Primefalcon
August 31st, 2012, 12:37 AM
No I have been saying it for years, fragmentation is more our enemy than OSX or Windows.
I don't think fragmentation is a problem, choice is good, but when we're beyond a cd, having all these seperate names... when the only difference is say Unity or XFCE.... well... since the underlying OS is the same anyhow just stick them all on the download image and at boot

have the top ones listed such as

which desktop environment would you like installed (at least for the major DE's anyhow).

Unity (recommended)
Gnome Shell
KDE
LXDE
XFCE

And then just let the package manager sort it out

Jakin
August 31st, 2012, 12:49 AM

There's something that can be said for those who don't have access to the internet- who either wont use their setup for internet, or just cannot get networking to work- then what are they gonna do for GUI? :/

As you say we are past the CD limit, and how many of us really dont have a DVD drive? So perhaps a group could bundle all the DE into the same DVD, and you could choose at install which DE(s) you want. (Obviously after the fact, due to different release dates of each DE)

EDIT: Or maybe you were sayin' that all along, and i just now thought about what you said from another angle.

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2012, 12:52 AM
The key to Linux growth is the Corporate Desktop (we have the server segment already) the following is very important for this to happen... identity, reliability, trust and continuity of support.

Fragmentation does not engender this, I know I come from the Corporate sector and have experienced both sides of the bargaining table.

Alas we are seeing the same fragmentation with Android. There is such a thing as spoilt by too much choice.

Mikeb85
August 31st, 2012, 01:05 AM
The key to Linux growth is the Corporate Desktop (we have the server segment already) the following is very important for this to happen... identity, reliability, trust and continuity of support.

Fragmentation does not engender this, I know I come from the Corporate sector and have experienced both sides of the bargaining table.

Alas we are seeing the same fragmentation with Android. There is such a thing as spoilt by too much choice.

For awhile Red Hat and SUSE were the obvious corporate choices (and thus .rpm files were quite ubiquitous), but with SUSE being acquired several times and Ubuntu becoming so popular, that balance has shifted...

But yes, fragmentation is bad. It's unfortunate the Linux world can't settle on a single type of packaging, and other things (sound, display manager, etc...)

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2012, 01:16 AM
For awhile Red Hat and SUSE were the obvious corporate choices (and thus .rpm files were quite ubiquitous), but with SUSE being acquired several times and Ubuntu becoming so popular, that balance has shifted...

But yes, fragmentation is bad. It's unfortunate the Linux world can't settle on a single type of packaging, and other things (sound, display manager, etc...)

Classic Divide and conquer, except we are doing the dividing, MSFT and Apple are doing the conquering.

forrestcupp
August 31st, 2012, 02:47 AM
No I have been saying it for years, fragmentation is more our enemy than OSX or Windows.I think package managers and different file hierarchies do a lot more for fragmentation than desktop environments do. If we could have a standard file hierarchy and package manager, we would have a lot less problems. There is more to it than that, like dependency issues. But I don't think having choices of desktop environments is the main thing that causes fragmentation.

As you say we are past the CD limit, and how many of us really dont have a DVD drive?
How many people actually use optical media for installing Linux anymore, anyway? It seems like it's shifting a lot more to USB memory sticks. You can reuse them a lot easier, and they're smaller.

Jakin
August 31st, 2012, 03:02 AM
How many people actually use optical media for installing Linux anymore, anyway? It seems like it's shifting a lot more to USB memory sticks. You can reuse them a lot easier, and they're smaller.

I admit it, i waste optical media all the time :oops: The idea is that i can give to someone to keep and tryout. I also often get the dvd iso, for the other languages included.

vexorian
August 31st, 2012, 03:37 AM

The whole point of this is freedom and having multiple options.

I for one would rather have options than success. Success is such a foul objective for open source anyway. We do not need another successful OS that only brings one choice, we already have OS/X and windows for that.

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2012, 03:40 AM
Why?

The whole point is freedom and multiple options.

I for one would rather have options than success. Success is such a foul objective for open source anyway.

Success brings success, which in turn brings investment and the growth will attract more Software suppliers and developers, the result a richer experience for all.

But of course failure is way more desirable

vexorian
August 31st, 2012, 03:53 AM
Explain to me why we need software suppliers and developers that would be better fit for the windows world anyway.

I misused the world success. What you speak of is not success. Is the promise of numerical success out of imitating dows and OS/X. And a not-so certain promise at that based on suppositions and other dubious things.

The truth of the matter is:
- DEs are interchangeable in this OS.
- There are developers who would rather develop for unity instead of GNOME.
- There are developers who would rather develop for GNOME instead of unity.
- There are people who would rather use GNOME instead of unity.
- There are people who would rather use Unity instead of GNOME.

Imposing a single option to battle this mythical "enemy" of fragmentation would forcibly give us 50% of losers. 50% users that do not like the choice presented. 50% developers that do not like to develop anymore.

Allowing choice, allows all of these guys in . Users can use unity if they want, they can use GNOME if they want, they can use KDE if they want etc. And contrary to nay-sayers it has been working GREAT. We have a vibrant developer community of people working in DEs and Applications that THEY like. And we got users who have such fun tweaking their systems and taking all the juice from them. So, I didn't use the word success correctly. To me, this is success. If we instead had something like windows. That was popular and mainstream but didn't allow this many choice. That would be failure. Because windows already exists. Where's the need for another one?

vasa1
August 31st, 2012, 04:03 AM
I don't think fragmentation is a problem, choice is good, ...
At least one Mozilla dev is on record expressing frustration with fragmentation.

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2012, 04:04 AM
Fragmentation ; The act or process of breaking into fragments.

Of course its a myth. It's a myth that there is 100's of Linux Distributions. Its a myth that there is multiple packaging systems. Its a myth that there is multiple file systems.

Why don't Enterprises flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? should they spend ten years testing them all when they can go to their suppliers and get Windows or OSX.

Why don't Game suppliers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? or should they spend huge sums developing for them all to have each trade at a loss.

Why don't consumers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? Windows or OSX is in the High Street Appliance store.

But of course the +/-1% after twenty years is a myth, fragmentation is a myth, success is therefore a myth.

mamamia88
August 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM
I personally think it's a great thing to have the choice even if you don't use it. It's nice to have the 4 major DEs all in the same distro.

vasa1
August 31st, 2012, 04:10 AM
Allowing choice, allows all of these guys in . Users can use unity if they want, they can use GNOME if they want, they can use KDE if they want etc. ...
Yes they can but there's a cost. Gardens are being walled off by "integration" and "recognized" apps.

Mikeb85
August 31st, 2012, 04:33 AM

Of course its a myth. It's a myth that there is 100's of Linux Distributions. Its a myth that there is multiple packaging systems. Its a myth that there is multiple file systems.

Why don't Enterprises flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? should they spend ten years testing them all when they can go to their suppliers and get Windows or OSX.

Why don't Game suppliers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? or should they spend huge sums developing for them all to have each trade at a loss.

Why don't consumers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? Windows or OSX is in the High Street Appliance store.

But of course the +/-1% after twenty years is a myth, fragmentation is a myth, success is therefore a myth.

While there is fragmentation, it's not quite that bad. SUSE, Red Hat and Ubuntu make up 90+% of Linux users...

Another issue is development tools. MS and Apple make developers lives easy. While Linux has powerful development tools and support for a ton of language and frameworks, it's not the easiest to develop desktop apps for. MS and Apple have consistent and unified frameworks, Linux doesn't.

Dependencies are annoying too, especially since the .debs and .rpms all have different names...

lykwydchykyn
August 31st, 2012, 04:44 AM

You're taking for granted the fact that these packages would be in the repo, and as well supported, if there weren't the respins. These respin projects often act as a rally point for people interested in packaging and polishing the software for Ubuntu.

CarpKing
August 31st, 2012, 04:48 AM
I might check it out. It's a hassle to boot up into a different environment just to install Gnome-shell, and I'm always wondering if any of my esoteric problems involve Gnome components fighting with Unity.

Primefalcon
August 31st, 2012, 05:15 AM
I might check it out. It's a hassle to boot up into a different environment just to install Gnome-shell, and I'm always wondering if any of my esoteric problems involve Gnome components fighting with Unity.
It doesn't, I have both installed

mamamia88
August 31st, 2012, 05:33 AM
You're taking for granted the fact that these packages would be in the repo, and as well supported, if there weren't the respins. These respin projects often act as a rally point for people interested in packaging and polishing the software for Ubuntu.

also they all probably wouldn't all fit on a single disc and what if you didn't have internet? also what if i don't like unity or kde? would i be forced to install kubuntu or ubuntu just to install gnome-shell and have a bunch of kde crap i might not want on my system? Personally i prefer the spins.

Linuxratty
August 31st, 2012, 05:47 AM
I have been trying a Gnome spin for an associate.it's Gnome spin Fedora 17, frankly it is terrible, I doubt that a Gnome spin Ubuntu will be any improvement.

This is what I suspect the outcome of this experiment will be...Could be wrong,time will tell as they say.

Primefalcon
August 31st, 2012, 07:11 AM
also they all probably wouldn't all fit on a single disc and what if you didn't have internet? also what if i don't like unity or kde? would i be forced to install kubuntu or ubuntu just to install gnome-shell and have a bunch of kde crap i might not want on my system? Personally i prefer the spins.
it'd only install what desktop you choose.... why would it install kde if you choose xfce?

forrestcupp
August 31st, 2012, 12:08 PM
I admit it, i waste optical media all the time :oops: The idea is that i can give to someone to keep and tryout. I also often get the dvd iso, for the other languages included.That's a worthy use of a blank DVD. ;)

The whole point of this is freedom and having multiple options.

I for one would rather have options than success. Success is such a foul objective for open source anyway. We do not need another successful OS that only brings one choice, we already have OS/X and windows for that.If you change the word success to "mainstream use", I think you have a good point. We don't need Linux to be turned into another commercial OS that is controlled by people who care more about their agenda than what people actually want. That's why Windows 8 is so atrocious for the desktop.

But of course the +/-1% after twenty years is a myth, fragmentation is a myth, success is therefore a myth.You're an admin of a Linux forum, yet you never have anything positive to say about Linux. :confused:

vexorian
August 31st, 2012, 04:24 PM
I did intend to mean success in the sense of "mainstream use".

You're an admin of a Linux forum, yet you never have anything positive to say about Linux. I wouldn't dig on that topic.

mamamia88
August 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM
it'd only install what desktop you choose.... why would it install kde if you choose xfce?

As of right now there is no gnome-shell spin in 12.04. If i wanted gnome shell i would have to install one of the other buntus and apt-get install gnome-shell. If you wanted to have the option on the installer you would either have to make sure everyone has internet access out of the box or include it on the cd. It's best to have it on the cd if possible. The DE probably takes up the vast majority of the space on any installer cd. You get what i'm saying? Sure we could provide a dvd with all of it but i don't know about you but i would rather download a 700mb iso than a 4gb iso especially on my 3mb connection.

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2012, 06:50 PM
That's a worthy use of a blank DVD. ;)

If you change the word success to "mainstream use", I think you have a good point. We don't need Linux to be turned into another commercial OS that is controlled by people who care more about their agenda than what people actually want. That's why Windows 8 is so atrocious for the desktop.

You're an admin of a Linux forum, yet you never have anything positive to say about Linux. :confused:

I am extremely passionate about Linux and in particular Ubuntu, do really think I would have given 8 years of my life to these Forums and been a user and supplier of Linux products since the 90's.

What I don't believe in is the elitist garbage that prevails the Linux community, I actually want see Linux develop and be available all and to be a commercial success.

forrestcupp
September 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
I am extremely passionate about Linux and in particular Ubuntu, do really think I would have given 8 years of my life to these Forums and been a user and supplier of Linux products since the 90's.

What I don't believe in is the elitist garbage that prevails the Linux community, I actually want see Linux develop and be available all and to be a commercial success.

It's good to hear you say this to reassure us that you still care. :)

I don't like the elitist garbage, either. But it actually seems to be much less here than with other distros.

irv
September 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread and seeing we have been talking about GNOME here, I thought I would post about
Linus Torvalds comment: “GNOME Are In Total Denial” (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/linus-torvalds-gnome-are-in-total-denial?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=FaceBook)
The comment was based on this: GNOME Founder Says Desktop Linux is Dead (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/gnome-founder-says-desktop-linux-is-dead)

vexorian
September 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
That article is really not about GS. but rather about Icaza's BS comments lately.

In fact, Linux pretty much did what I envisioned back in 1991 when I first released it. Pretty much all subsequent development was driven by outside ideas of what other people needed or wanted to do. Not by some internal vision of where things “should” go.

That’s exactly the reverse of the gnome “we know better” mentality, and “We will force Corba/.NET down your throat whether you like it or not, and if you complain, you’re against progress, and cannot handle the change”.

Some gnome people seem to be in total denial about what their problem really is. They’ll wildly blame everybody except themselves. This is like my most favorite Linus' rant ever.

I am going to go buy I <3 Linus Torvalds t-shirts somewhere.

LeoMcSnarf
November 14th, 2012, 06:26 AM
When Unity first came out I downgraded back to 10.04 Lucid... eventually I skipped the first Unity release and tried the second release to feature Unity, which was pretty good. I have to admit it was less buggy, just really different... so I downgraded again and stayed with 10.04 until 12.04 Precise came out. So now Unity is what you'll get with Ubuntu, unless you want a re-spin, which is of course the beauty of GNU/Linux if the first place, everyone gets what they want, and they should. "You can't please everyone all of the time" as the saying goes and it's true. If a great distribution (Ubuntu) makes a spin for most every desktop environment out there everyone should be happy... except people don't seem to like someone else being happy with something they themselves don't like best.... weird, I know.
When Unity first came out I didn't like the fact that Gnome made a great desktop environment, which Ubuntu used as their base, but then glazed over with their own environment... but that is what they did... however as I began using Unity, since 10.04 is older now and I had to move on, it grew on me, a lot. I have to say I really love it now. Would I like a gnome-panel based release? I said a year ago that I did... but I haven't... I still think that their should be a pure Gnome Ubuntu release... even if I wouldn't use it. Every thing for everyone. Some people won't be happy over it but that's okay.

Eddie Wilson
November 14th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I installed gnome-shell as a session and that's how I play around with Gnome 3. I still prefer Unity but it's nice to play around with.