PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 and windows

oygle
August 30th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Hi,

Have upgraded from 10.04, and i don't like the way 12.04 'works' as a desktop.

There is no taskbar as before. The apps are not all set out neatly from top menus. If you have many Firefox windows open, you have to click the app icon twice to see other windows. If I'm in an app like KMail, I can't get to the other windows within KMail, unless I go click the KMail icon again, .. very much harder to drive.

Also, there is no CLI (but have since found a Ctrl-Alt-T brings it up), and there are many other apps 'missing, from within system admin or system/prefs. It was all "neat" before with all office apps together, all internet apps together,etc.

Now, I do see there are different desktops that can be used, like that shown at http://modifyubuntu.com and
http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/06/25-things-i-did-after-installing-ubuntu.html

Can someone please inform me which is the desktop to install/use, so that it has the same look/feel, and use of taskbar and windows, etc, as 10.04 operated.

Oygle

mastablasta
August 30th, 2012, 09:42 AM
xfce (Xubuntu)

yu might laos give Kubutnu a try since you use Kmail.

oygle
August 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks. What about KDE4, seems I just need ..

sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop

oygle
August 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
On the modify Ubuntu site, it says to clcik on the gear, yet when I did that, only 2 options - Ubuntu and Ubuntu 2D, none of the others ??

darkod
August 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
If you want an interface similar to the 10.04 (gnome) you can try gnome-panel. That's the package for the Gnome Classic interface, very similar to the previous interfaces.

Just do:
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

and you should see option for Gnome Classic at your login page when you click the symbol next to the user. It also remembers the last login used so you don't have to click every time.

oygle
August 31st, 2012, 02:11 AM
Thanks, I will try gnome-panel.

Oygle

mastablasta
August 31st, 2012, 07:18 AM
On the modify Ubuntu site, it says to clcik on the gear, yet when I did that, only 2 options - Ubuntu and Ubuntu 2D, none of the others ??

not sure why that happens.

perhpas not everything needed for it to appear there is included in that package.

oygle
August 31st, 2012, 07:53 AM
not sure why that happens.

I wasn't clicking the right icon, it does work okay.