PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card Power Management

chriswt
August 30th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I just finished installing Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 on a new Pavilion p6-2117c desktop.
The monitor turns off after 10 minutes. But will not turn on if keys are hit. I rebooted the machine and left it sitting for the BIOS password. The monitor never turn off after 1.5 hours.

I assume that the video card has a power setting once loaded. Is their a way to edit the setting to turn power saver off?

I’m a beginner in Linux, Wow!

Can you point me in a straight path?

* Also – I’m having a hard time understanding the logins in root user, root and shutdown now.
As you can see, beginner. And I would like to learn more, but if I leave the PC for 10 minutes, I have to crash the system and power on :-<

Thanks

2F4U
August 30th, 2012, 06:12 AM
The system settings in the quick start bar on the left side of the screen (assuming that you use Unity) has a settings application. If you open it there is a power managent configuration dialogue, which should allow you to turn off the power management features related to the screen and you can also turn off the screen saver.
However, there may be additional power setting options in your BIOS and your monitor, which you should check.

mastablasta
August 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
it's good to read the community made manual if oyu wish to understand more about how it works.

otherwise some motherboards have issues with power management inthis version. the bug has been reported. i was affected by it and decided that it's best to turn off most power mangement features. since htis is a desktop it doens't matter as much.