PDA

View Full Version : Foiled again, my first step into Linux was not pleasent

Skeith
June 28th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I downloaded the AMD64 version of Kubuntu a week ago and decided today since I was sick I would try it out. The live CD worked alright, so I installed it on a spare HD. Everything was going fine, then I decided to start installing things. Well nothing would work, I couldn't understand why. I added the right things to the repository list, but nothing would show up. Then I tried to install the opera .deb file. Which then warned me that I was using AMD64 architecture, while the file required i386.

Man, what a let down. I will try again tomorrow.

Maggot
June 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I tried Kubuntu for the x86 and although I didn't have install problems, it was buggy.

fuscia
June 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
my hurdle was wireless. after trying to find a solution before installing, i just decided **** it and installed it anyway. finally got it going. it can be hard, but you'll be better for getting through it.

btw, do you ever worry that 64 is a quadraphonics for the new millenium?

prizrak
June 28th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I downloaded the AMD64 version of Kubuntu a week ago and decided today since I was sick I would try it out. The live CD worked alright, so I installed it on a spare HD. Everything was going fine, then I decided to start installing things. Well nothing would work, I couldn't understand why. I added the right things to the repository list, but nothing would show up. Then I tried to install the opera .deb file. Which then warned me that I was using AMD64 architecture, while the file required i386.

Man, what a let down. I will try again tomorrow.
Dumb question, did you press the reload button?

markmark
June 28th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Man, what a let down. I will try again tomorrow.You have installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, but then tried to install a 32 bit version of Opera. That won't work. I would strongly recommend you install the standard 32 bit version of Ubuntu if you are new to Linux. It will run fine on your AMD64.

G Morgan
June 28th, 2006, 03:27 AM
And you would have succeeded too if it wasn't for those damned kids ;) .

I agree with other posters though, go for the 32 bit version until your confident in the use of Linux. When you've got some real experience you can install 32 bit software in a chroot jail but that would be a bit off yet. Good luck.

prizrak
June 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM
One thing I would love to know though. Is there a real difference in speed between the two or is it just the point of using full potential of the hardware? Unless you got over 4gigs of RAM 64 doesn't seem to do anything useful (and very few home machines require even 2).