PDA

View Full Version : New Gaming Rig

Bandit
August 30th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Finally after months of drooling on my keyboard over hardware and what not I was able to purchase all the new goodies to build my new system up tonight. I am extreamly excited. Here is what I got:

-EVGA nVidia 560Ti GTX Fermi core (This is a second one to go with my existing 560Ti to run SLI)
-Intel i7-3770 CPU
-ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard
-Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR3-1600 (4x 4GB) set.
-Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D sound card
-Cooler Master SilentPro 1000watt PSU
-Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Cooler (wanted to cool my VRMs)
-Artic5
-Cooler Master 692 Advanced Chasis (USB 3.0 ver)
-ASUS DVD-RW Muti-Drive
-Samsung 256GB 830series SSD
-Westinghouse 39" LED TV, 1080p X 1920 LCD Display

Plus add in my existing gear
-2x 320GB WD Blue HDDs
-EVGA 560Ti (I have had for a few months now)
-Logitech G13 (had for a while)
-Razor Car.... something headphones, they are soft and sound good.

Should make for a sick system. Had to order Win7 for the new box, old copy I have is for accademic use since I was in college, figured I would actually buy it and have full copy for a few years since Win8 is a bust. Should be able to dual boot without any issues.
But I plan on using it as both a gaming rig and video encoding game footage and home movies. Hence I went with 16Gigs of RAM.
I ordered a cheap Logitech MK100 keyboard, wanted a new one. But I am very finicky of keyboards, so I will have to go bang on some at bestbuy or something to find one that I am comfortable with. I dont like mechs much, I actually prefer cheap keyboards as long as they are smooth and quiet.

What yall think?

- Joe

BTW here is a link to my Youtube channel were my video is of the system..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUUajW-Rtc

forrestcupp
August 30th, 2012, 02:13 AM
You mean you're not going to install Ubuntu on it only to play Sauerbraten?

Bandit
August 30th, 2012, 03:09 AM
You mean you're not going to install Ubuntu on it only to play Sauerbraten?

LOL ita be dual booted. Kinda why I didnt bother to go raid and get 2 SSDs :lolflag:

shz1
August 30th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Your power supply is overkill for that system, you can save some money and get a 650W one.

KiwiNZ
August 30th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Your power supply is overkill for that system, you can save some money and get a 650W one.

650w is inadequate with today's hardware requirements.

That is one sweet machine congrats

Bandit
August 30th, 2012, 03:32 AM

LOL not...

Overkill possibly by 150watts yes, but Overkill on the PSU means your hardware is never in a strain, there for if you know anything about thermaldynamics you will see going overkill keeps your hardware cool.

Bandit
August 30th, 2012, 03:37 AM
That is one sweet machine congrats

Thanks KiwiNZ,
Its been a long time since I built up a new system. I am still running my Older Phenom 9850 I got the same summer it was released.

This is my first really high end system. Wanted to go with 600 series video cards, but wife got me this 560Ti prob less then 2 months ago. Sadly the 660Ti's were not out yet. But they are 192bit also, so not sure about them yet. Originally wanted 680's but well wife got this one and I figured I would use them for a year and maybe for my bday next summer opt for something midranged in the 700 series if they are out and 3 monitor setup.

drmrgd
August 30th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Nice looking rig! Congrats! Let us know how you like that case. I was considering that one when I was putting together my system, but opted for the Corsair 650D (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006) case (although I don't think that price is right - I didn't pay nearly that much for it!!!).

Any good deals on those Samsung SSDs? I've been toying with the idea of picking up another, and I haven't decided between that one, a Crucial M4 (I have a smaller one now and I like it!), or one of the OCZ Vertex drives. The Samsung ones are a bit on the pricey side, but they seem really good.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 30th, 2012, 04:33 AM
16gb is overkill for gaming 8gb is overkill enough
16gb is for media work not gaming
and a i7 has no advantage over a i5 for gaming spend the money on cooling (corsair h100) and overclock a 3570k
edit:
read more of the op if you are also media editing the i7 is a good choice
really sleepy atm, cats woke me up early

be sure you are getting the low profile ram, need clearance for a the HSF, as far as air coolers go look at a hyper 212 evo

mips
August 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Nice rig!

Have a look at the Logitech UltraX wired keyboard. Relative cheap and I love mine.

Carborundum
August 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
650w is inadequate with today's hardware requirements.

Overkill possibly by 150watts yes, but Overkill on the PSU means your hardware is never in a strain, there for if you know anything about thermaldynamics you will see going overkill keeps your hardware cool.

Nope, you are wrong.

Let's take a look at how much power that rig is going to need:

The most power-thirsty components are the CPU and the GPUs. The i7-3770 has a TDP* of 95 W, the GTX560Ti need 170 W each. In addition to that, add 20 W for the hard drives, 10 W for the optical drive, 10 W for the motherboard, 10 W for peripherals , 5 W for the sound card, 5 W for the SSD, and 5 W for the CPU-cooler. That's about 500 W in total. Add 20% extra in case you are going to overclock: 600 W. You are never, ever going to exceed that.

Contrary to what you think, a more-powerful-than-necessary PSU will not run cooler than a just-powerful-enough PSU. Modern PSUs have an efficiency of about 80% regardless of load, so a PSU providing 500 W of power will generate approximately 100 W of heat, regardless of whether it's a 600 W PSU or a 1000 W PSU.

Finally, a common misconception about PSUs is that they aren't designed to run at 100% load for extended periods of time. This is completely incorrect. A PSU that is specced at 600 W is supposed to be able to provide that amount of power, period. As long as you don't buy off-brand units, you can trust your PSU to deliver what it promises.

In short, a 1000 W PSU has no advantages over a 600 W PSU, assuming you won't exceed 600 W, which you never will.

*TPD = Thermal Design Power. This is the maximum amount of power to be cooled off from a device at any given time, and by extension the maximum amount of power that device is able to use. In reality most components are unlikely to ever reach their advertised TDP.

Bandit
August 30th, 2012, 11:12 AM
and a i7 has no advantage over a i5 for gaming spend the money on cooling (corsair h100) and overclock a 3570k
edit:
read more of the op if you are also media editing the i7 is a good choice
really sleepy atm, cats woke me up early

be sure you are getting the low profile ram, need clearance for a the HSF, as far as air coolers go look at a hyper 212 evo

While what you mentioned is true, there are a few reasons I ordered what I did.
16Gig for gaming is overkill, true but I will also be doing a good amount of video editing. That and 16Gigs is only 100 USD, or in the case of last night 91.99USD. So I went with 16, good even number and didnt cost much at all. Should cover me very well for the next 5 years.

i7 due to multi threading. Ivy bridge for PCI-E 3.0, that and I do more then just game. Plus the CPU was only 309.00 USD, i5s are still 200-250.. Why not just spend 50 more and get the most top of the line that is faster anyway. I dont overclock so I went with the 3770 and not the K, I also use Virtual machines from time to time, I read somewhere that some virtualization stuff is removed on the K version. So I just got the non over clockable one.

I really really really wanted to go water cooling, I did review after review online and personal conversations with freinds inthe IT industry that use them. WHen it came down to it at the end of the day, can I trust the water cooler to run 100% of the time and never fail.. Sadly NO.. What it boiled down to, if you want water cooling, then dont by those gimicky Corsair ones as many heatpipe units we have come close or even surpass those water coolers NDH14 for Noctua for example. If you really want water cooling, and I may move to in the future, go with the pro gear and assemble all your stuff together. But then again, I am not overclocking, so there isnt a benfit for me if I can achieve excelent cooling temps wihtout the hassle. I really like the CM Hyper212 Evo, it and the 212+ have the highest raiting over any other cooler out there for their price/performance ratio. Two reasons I didnt get it, one is I would not have clearance for a 140mm intake above my CPU/RAM area and two I wanted to give my VRMs a cool constant breeze. So I went with the GeminII S524, this is the 2nd one I have owned and are excelent alternative to the Hyper212 if you have clearance issues. The GeminII you can turn to cool your ram if you have low profile ram, or can turn it to cool your VRMs and totally clear your RAM. Which is what I will be doing with this system. Which is why I went with regular Vengence RAM over the LP versions. So yea I considered those and would have got them if I did go with the 212. Now for those who have ever looked at the GeminII S524 and wondered about its cooling compasisty. My Phenom 9850 (125watt) sets idle at 24-25c during desktop use and up to 45c on full load like folding at home. So it wouldnt be my choice for overclocking, for that matter even the 212 is pushing it, but its a excelent replacement for the stock mess they send. :-)

LOL wasnt kiding when I said I spent a few months going over these specs.

Someone mentioned how I liked the CM 692 Advanced. We it looks great, but I will have more to tell when it gets here. My two chooses were the 692 or the Corsair 600t. In the end I went with the 692 to keep the PC from being to large. The 600T for Corsair pushes it when in terms of calling it a Mid-Tower. At 20x23x10.5 inches, its a beast among mid towers. Keep in mind the 692 can only support 140mm fans, so your noise to CFM ratio can be tricky as the 600t however can support 200mm fans on top and front. Which have a much better noise to CFM ratio. In the end, I went with the 692, although I did purchase 3 more 140mm fans for it make it 3x 140mm fans for intake and 2x 140mm for exhaust + 1x 120mm exhaust fan on the back. For 6 fans total. This chasis however can support up to 10 fans total. But that that level it could make it dificult to keep the noise down. I am using Cooler Master fans, althought they are indeed 19db sound rating, they are not 60cfm. 60cfm rating on those is a joke, from experience IRL they are more of the line of 30-40max CFM. But I knew this and reasons I got them is they are quiet and they last a very long time. 3in-3out should keep my system very chilly even folding over night.

Bandit
August 30th, 2012, 11:19 AM

So lets say your right, but whos to say I want fill up those bays with nice 1TB drives to get my raid performance and size up for video editing, also that I want add more fans, flasy disco lights, a stripper pole and dual NV 690s. :lolflag:

I got a 1000w, so I never have to worry about that... I am covered, its done deal. I pay car insurance even though I dont wreck everyday also. hehe :lolflag:

drmrgd
August 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM
<snip>

Someone mentioned how I liked the CM 692 Advanced. We it looks great, but I will have more to tell when it gets here. My two chooses were the 692 or the Corsair 600t. In the end I went with the 692 to keep the PC from being to large. The 600T for Corsair pushes it when in terms of calling it a Mid-Tower. At 20x23x10.5 inches, its a beast among mid towers. Keep in mind the 692 can only support 140mm fans, so your noise to CFM ratio can be tricky as the 600t however can support 200mm fans on top and front. Which have a much better noise to CFM ratio. In the end, I went with the 692, although I did purchase 3 more 140mm fans for it make it 3x 140mm fans for intake and 2x 140mm for exhaust + 1x 120mm exhaust fan on the back. For 6 fans total. This chasis however can support up to 10 fans total. But that that level it could make it dificult to keep the noise down. I am using Cooler Master fans, althought they are indeed 19db sound rating, they are not 60cfm. 60cfm rating on those is a joke, from experience IRL they are more of the line of 30-40max CFM. But I knew this and reasons I got them is they are quiet and they last a very long time. 3in-3out should keep my system very chilly even folding over night.

You said it about the Corsair case! I was a bit surprised at how big it was when I unboxed it. For a mid-tower, it truly is a beast! It wasn't a deal breaker for me by any stretch, though, as I have plenty of space for it.

I have not swapped out the stock fans yet, and they are loud as anything. When I get a little more extra cash, I think I'm going to replace some of those with a little quieter versions. When idle, it's not bad. However, when I start processing massive data sets and everything winds up, it can get quite loud.

mips
August 30th, 2012, 12:38 PM
16GB is nothing for those complaining & ram is cheap.

I would love to have 16-32GB for VMs but for now my lowly 4GB will have to do (MB does not support more) until I upgrade in the future.

I would also love to have 6+ cores in future so I can assign 4 to windows gaming via hypervisor and direct GPU access so I don't have to reboot just to play a game.

Lucradia
August 30th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Not if you play Minecraft! Or use fraps to record anything 3D.

Jakin
August 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM
16GB is nothing for those complaining & ram is cheap.

I would love to have 16-32GB for VMs but for now my lowly 4GB will have to do (MB does not support more) until I upgrade in the future.

I would also love to have 6+ cores in future so I can assign 4 to windows gaming via hypervisor and direct GPU access so I don't have to reboot just to play a game.

32gb ram and 6 cores- the first thing that popped into my head was a Sun Ultra Workstation. Haha... thats a pipe dream for me :(

Lucradia
August 30th, 2012, 09:26 PM
32gb ram and 6 cores- the first thing that popped into my head was a Sun Ultra Workstation. Haha... thats a pipe dream for me :(

Dual Xeon Motherboard would be my pipe dream, with an NVIDIA GTX 690 SLI with custom fans on the GPUs (as everyone only has one fan on the GTX 690s due to no custom model.) With a 1200 Watt Power Supply, BD-RW Drive up to 8x on BD Write, 64GB of RAM DDR3 (if not DDR5 if possible) with each processor at 4.2 GHz for 12 cores total (Not OC'd.)

*sigh* One can only hope....

Bandit
August 30th, 2012, 11:13 PM

Speaking of which I do hehe. I used to use FRAPS but I purchashed Corel Video Studio 5 ultimate. It was 90USD from newegg. It supposed to let you record game play on they computer your on as well as screen stuff. It does a lot more and I figured it has to be a lot better then MS Movie Maker that was broken on Win7 version. I could have got 32gig, but I like to choose ram sticks that have been fully tested and the 16gig 4x4 sets were one of the ones fully tested. Kinda lets me know if they dont work they are bad -vs- not compatible.. :)

EDIT:
I guess I can add something else to my new PC gear. Instead of my ASUS 27" LCD, I have replaced it with a Westinghouse 39" LED TV. :D Found one at bestbuy today for 399USD, was shocked how thin it was and how nice the pitchure quality was. So after a few bad looks from my wife, I got it.. hehe

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 31st, 2012, 02:13 AM
While what you mentioned is true, there are a few reasons I ordered what I did.
16Gig for gaming is overkill, true but I will also be doing a good amount of video editing. That and 16Gigs is only 100 USD, or in the case of last night 91.99USD. So I went with 16, good even number and didnt cost much at all. Should cover me very well for the next 5 years.

i7 due to multi threading. Ivy bridge for PCI-E 3.0, that and I do more then just game. Plus the CPU was only 309.00 USD, i5s are still 200-250.. Why not just spend 50 more and get the most top of the line that is faster anyway. I dont overclock so I went with the 3770 and not the K, I also use Virtual machines from time to time, I read somewhere that some virtualization stuff is removed on the K version. So I just got the non over clockable one.

I really really really wanted to go water cooling, I did review after review online and personal conversations with freinds inthe IT industry that use them. WHen it came down to it at the end of the day, can I trust the water cooler to run 100% of the time and never fail.. Sadly NO.. What it boiled down to, if you want water cooling, then dont by those gimicky Corsair ones as many heatpipe units we have come close or even surpass those water coolers NDH14 for Noctua for example. If you really want water cooling, and I may move to in the future, go with the pro gear and assemble all your stuff together. But then again, I am not overclocking, so there isnt a benfit for me if I can achieve excelent cooling temps wihtout the hassle. I really like the CM Hyper212 Evo, it and the 212+ have the highest raiting over any other cooler out there for their price/performance ratio. Two reasons I didnt get it, one is I would not have clearance for a 140mm intake above my CPU/RAM area and two I wanted to give my VRMs a cool constant breeze. So I went with the GeminII S524, this is the 2nd one I have owned and are excelent alternative to the Hyper212 if you have clearance issues. The GeminII you can turn to cool your ram if you have low profile ram, or can turn it to cool your VRMs and totally clear your RAM. Which is what I will be doing with this system. Which is why I went with regular Vengence RAM over the LP versions. So yea I considered those and would have got them if I did go with the 212. Now for those who have ever looked at the GeminII S524 and wondered about its cooling compasisty. My Phenom 9850 (125watt) sets idle at 24-25c during desktop use and up to 45c on full load like folding at home. So it wouldnt be my choice for overclocking, for that matter even the 212 is pushing it, but its a excelent replacement for the stock mess they send. :-)

LOL wasnt kiding when I said I spent a few months going over these specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233197 just so you know, it is not like 1.5v ram gets hot anyway, heat spreads are just for looks
19db cooler master fans you say, let me guess sickle flow fans?

Bandit
August 31st, 2012, 02:22 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233197 just so you know, it is not like 1.5v ram gets hot anyway, heat spreads are just for looks
Yea no doubt.. I like the metal heatsinks only for the sake of keeping me from touching the rams pcb.

19db cooler master fans you say, let me guess sickle flow fans?
Nah cheaper ones.. LOL these...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103078

LED ones in top, black ones on the side panel..
60CFM, only if they thrown outside during a tornado..
But quiet and smooth flowing yea.. But not high performance at all.

vexorian
August 31st, 2012, 04:57 AM
640Kb of RAM is enough for any use.

Edit: The OP's use of the word "only" makes me depressed.

Lucradia
August 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Yea no doubt.. I like the metal heatsinks only for the sake of keeping me from touching the rams pcb.

Could also try Mushkin's 1.35v RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184

^ This is the lowest CAS you can get for their brand at this voltage. Others are all CAS 11. These are what I have currently, just two, as my Crosshair V Formula has two faulty RAM slots, and I didn't know this until after the RMA period had passed. The only problem with these is that any and all monitor systems by ASUS will disallow you to monitor the voltage on these, as ASUS' monitors can only go as low as 1.4 volts, which these RAM sticks are not meant to do. They can go up to 1600 MHz even at 1.35 volts, no OC'ing of the CPU is needed unless the CPU/MB Combination requires OC'ing. (The Crosshair V Formula does not require OC'ing to get 1600 MHz RAM, hence why I bought it.)

sffvba[e0rt
August 31st, 2012, 03:09 PM
You can never have to many mega hurts and to many rams. Sweet system, enjoy.

Bandit
September 1st, 2012, 07:06 PM
Could also try Mushkin's 1.35v RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184

^ This is the lowest CAS you can get for their brand at this voltage.

Never used Mushkin, Always used Corsair or Kingsten Value RAM.
But I already got my RAM installed and runs at 1600 just fine and no over clocking required.

@Notfound,
Thank you. Things were very tight money wise while I was back in college. Glad to finally be able to build up a nice system.

Up to 330am this morning/last night how ever you look at it installing software. Run a few benchmarks, Samsung SSD is getting 500reads and little over 400ish writes. Win7 boots from the swooshy logo thing to the desktop less then 5 secs. Experience index is 7.8/7.8/7.9/7.9/7.9.
Can run Unigens Heaven benchmark with vsync turned on and it never drop below 60fps even with AA set to 8x.

So far only issues it has given me is Windows Update tried to load a older driver for my Recon3D sound card which would make strange noises. Installing the latest from the website fixed that.

I have pics of everything I will post soon as I get them off the camera.

Bandit
September 2nd, 2012, 09:57 AM
I promised photos, so here is photo slide show.
You cant get much better then photos put to music and no requirment to click next! :popcorn:

http://youtu.be/6FS4ey4JpJY

Cheers,
Joe

smellyman
September 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM

that is utterly false.

or was it sarcasm?

Bandit
September 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
that is utterly false.

or was it sarcasm?

I think this is the perspective of two different views. Not that either is wrong but both correct.

However IMH OPINION the increased RAM does help with video recording while playing. I have recorded with FRAPs using 4GB of RAM, it is utterly painful. I did it, I did it alot. But my RAM banks were maxed out. 8 may be OK, 8gigs may even be good. But good lord 16GB is only $90 USD!!
Why they heck would anyone spend 50-60 dollars on RAM when only 30-40 more you can double that.. Its just silly not to..

But anyway back on the farm..

I have an updated video with Unigen Heaven Benchmarks.. Enjoy!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUUajW-Rtc)

Lucradia
September 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
that is utterly false.

or was it sarcasm?

it was not false nor sarcasm. Even if you have a good CPU, Minecraft will still slow down with only 4 GB of RAM if you want to pretty it up with 32x+ Texture packs, and want it on fancy even with Optifine.

As for Fraps, it's also true. Think of it this way. I only had 2~3 GB on an IBM T41, and recording was painfully slow, processing it would make it as fast as if I recorded it normally on a good compy, but it records sooooooo slow (at 1080p.)

Jakin
September 2nd, 2012, 06:58 PM
More ram is always good- remember, a computer does all its work inside RAM, and saves its result to disk when needed.

There is swap, but it could never replace the speed of RAM- hense why you may have a slowdown, when recording- or doing any intensive amount of work at once. (I really don't think swap is healthy for a HDD either, that's why i max my ram out- but that's another story)

Bandit
September 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I just dont understand why anyone would want to penny pench over 16GB of RAM when it cost less then a 100 dollar bill??

I got the Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600 (4x 4GB) Dual Channel kit all for $90 and some change. No tax, ~$2 for shipping.. Really thats a great price / performance ratio. You could even get some Kingston 16GB Value RAM even cheaper. Kingston VR is good stuff I have used many times in the past, if your penny penching get it..

Two or Three years ago 8GB became the morm standard for high-er end workstations. Due to cost. Now RAM is even cheaper, programs are still growing. Best best is just get 16GB and be set for the next 5 years. I mean seriously, people dont buy mini vans so they can hall 12 kids around every day of the week, they get them becuase they can if they need to.. RAM is the same way, get it, one day you may need it. 32GB may still be overkill for most folks. I know a few people that DO use that much RAM. 16GB is like the min for my computer at work. I use Solidworks 2012 3D-CAD software. Even at 8GB large assemblies can cause SW to get very unstable. Those are just a few reasons.. IMHO..

vexorian
September 2nd, 2012, 11:57 PM
Best bet is just get 16GB and be set for the next 5 year

If in 5 years, I find out I need the 8 extra GB I am not currently using, then what would stop me to just buy the extra 8GB at that time? In fact, knowing technology, the RAMs of five years later will heat less, not require as many watts and be less expensive.

I think it is healthier not to buy power you are not gonna use. If you really need 16GB or 32GB for your work then it is great. But other people probably have different needs. 100 USD may be a small price. But I don't think that is an excuse not to make optimal decisions. If the 100 extra USD you got are better used in a better GPU, or in feeding your power bills or in software than in extra RAM you are not going to use until 5 years later, I am inclined to think that it is best to go to those alternatives rather than the extra RAM.

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 12:17 AM
If in 5 years, I find out I need the 8 extra GB I am not currently using, then what would stop me to just buy the extra 8GB at that time? In fact, knowing technology, the RAMs of five years later will heat less, not require as many watts and be less expensive.

I think it is healthier not to buy power you are not gonna use. If you really need 16GB or 32GB for your work then it is great. But other people probably have different needs. 100 USD may be a small price. But I don't think that is an excuse not to make optimal decisions. If the 100 extra USD you got are better used in a better GPU, or in feeding your power bills or in software than in extra RAM you are not going to use until 5 years later, I am inclined to think that it is best to go to those alternatives rather than the extra RAM.

In five years the Ram would not be suitable for your machine, the current Ram would be legacy and very expensive.

sffvba[e0rt
September 3rd, 2012, 12:34 AM
Why would anybody care how much RAM someone decides to get... it is their money and choice after all. (Same with everything stated, share your opinion as it was asked and move on...)

catlover2
September 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
For what it's worth, I bought three of those Cooler Master fans you mentioned, (the 120MM version) and they all failed in ~3 months.

I have an updated video with Unigen Heaven Benchmarks.. Enjoy!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUUajW-Rtc)
Also, here in the US, I get this message when trying to play your video:

This video contains content from Fintage Publishing BV and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Bandit
September 3rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
In five years the Ram would not be suitable for your machine, the current Ram would be legacy and very expensive.This is soo very true.. DDR2-800 for my older system is twice the cost of DDR3-1600..

For what it's worth, I bought three of those Cooler Master fans you mentioned, (the 120MM version) and they all failed in ~3 months.

Also, here in the US, I get this message when trying to play your video:Hmm.. Seems youtube is a step a head of me. Hoping that they wouldnt compain since it wasnt a full song but more of a cut/mix.. I have to work on this..

vexorian
September 3rd, 2012, 03:15 AM
In five years the Ram would not be suitable for your machine, the current Ram would be legacy and very expensive.
It works both ways, does not it? Five years later, once I need the extra 8GB of DDR3 you I would be buying "just in case" wouldn't be as good as the theoretical DDR4 chips that would abound within 5 years.

For what's worth, DDR2 is still less expensive now than it was when it started. At least around here, maybe around there it is different.

Everyone go buy whatever RAM you want. Just don't call us cheap for not getting more RAM than we need.

Bandit
September 4th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Everyone go buy whatever RAM you want. Just don't call us cheap for not getting more RAM than we need.

Like the good reveren said..:KS

johnnybgoode83
September 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Question for the OP - what was in your video that prompted EMI to have it taken down?

Paqman
September 4th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I just dont understand why anyone would want to penny pench over 16GB of RAM when it cost less then a 100 dollar bill??

Because unused RAM is a waste of money, even if it's cheap.

I don't do anything that needs 16GB of RAM, so I wouldn't ever buy that much. The only reason I upped mine to 4GB was for VMs. For now everything is sweet as with 4GB, those sticks will be going straight into the next mobo when I upgrade sometime in the next couple of years.

sffvba[e0rt
September 4th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Question for the OP - what was in your video that prompted EMI to have it taken down?

Music.

Bandit
September 5th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Music.

Yea I knew they had a fit about full length music and all, didnt know they would throw a fit about a partial clip. But strangely it plays fine for me here and there is no notification of EMI restrictions.. IDK..