PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] cannot righ click items in "Applications" menu

paichkash
August 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
hi
i want some apps to appear on the taskbar in xubuntu .. currently there is just ff and a help icon .. i want few more apps like opera browser and skype and other apps to be shown there.. so when i click on the applicatons menu and try to right click on skype or opera or anything it launches it.. it also launches it on left/middle click.. i tried pressing alt,ctrl and other key combinations to get the right click context menu but was thoroughly unsuccessfull. however i can do so in gnome ..but not in xfce..

so i formated and reinstallled ubuntu but still the same .. i formated and reinstalled it twice with no luck.. any help ?
thanks

Elfy
August 29th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Well xfce is not gnome.

Right click panel - add new item - add a launcher - right click launcher - properties - add new item

OR you can right click panel - panel preferences - items tab and do effectively the same thing.

LewisTM
August 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
OR drag and drop from the menu to your panel or desktop. That's shortest route.

paichkash
August 30th, 2012, 05:25 AM
OR drag and drop from the menu to your panel or desktop. That's shortest route.):P
how can i drag it if i cant drag it ?
i can i gnome but not in xfce... )

from above posters response it seems that xfce doesnt support draging esp in the case of draging a shortcut/link to an app from the Applications menu (at the top leftmost side of screen) to the panel. and only way out is like the one quoted by above fellow... thats very painfull way of doing ... and then changing the icon is also PITA.. whareas in gnome just drag and drop and icon is set to the apps default..

Elfy
August 30th, 2012, 08:21 AM
OR drag and drop from the menu to your panel or desktop. That's shortest route.

Can't say I've ever managed to drag and drop :(

But then again I'm not too worried about doing it the other way either :)

cmcanulty
August 30th, 2012, 01:41 PM
you have to slowly drag and hold it over panel until a box shows then release, takes a while to figure it out and it still usually takes me a couple of tries

LewisTM
August 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Once you've mastered the drag and drop trick, there is one more thing you can do.
As pointed out, you can't edit menu items in-place in Xfce. A workaround is to create a new panel or desktop launcher with execute command

exo-desktop-item-edit %f
Then you can drag menu items and drop them onto that launcher. It will execute the desktop file editor so you can modify the details of the item.

cmcanulty
August 30th, 2012, 02:12 PM
also this works for me but I have no clue why. I get everything I want in my panels (I use 3) in gnome classic then logout and back in to xfce or xubuntu and everything from classic is carried over.

paichkash
September 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
i installed "Main menu Editor" package now i can do what i want through it...
i installed it few days ago so dont remember exact process.. but search for the above pacakge and its info ..u will be able to solve ur problem as well...