PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost with New upgrade menu :(

Neil_Mac
August 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I feel real silly but since I upgraded the whole desktop changed and dont know how to access the progs I have installed. Besides whats on the Left side I dont know how to access the Menu’s that have all the progs that were listed on the top bar before.

Thanks!
:(

irv
August 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
A little more information. What did you upgrad from? and what did you upgrade too?
I am assuming you upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity as a desktop.
If so just click on the Ubuntu logo in the top left hand corner of the screen. This is called the dash. You can also open it by pressing the "super Key" which is the windows key on your keyboard. Also holding down the super key will open a box with many other shortcut keys.
One the dash is open you can run programs from there. You can also just start typing the program you want and it will find it for you.
The launch on the left side of the screen is where you keep your most use programs. you can lock them to the launch by opening them and then when they appear in the launch just right click on the icon and select lock to launcher. I would suggest you go on line and do a search for help with using Unity. Also there are some good books listed in the Software center which should be on the launcher.
Hope this helps

Neil_Mac
August 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
12.04 is the upgraded version.
I would do a screen shot but dont know were to find the program.
The "Dash Home" is at the top left and only shows recent used apps/files/dl.
Yes u can do a search but memorizing programs is not my thing and thats what menu’s are great for. SO has this new version doe away with Menu’s? if so then I would rather uninstall the new version.

Thanks!

kansasnoob
August 29th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Here's a couple of brief intros to Unity:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12111610&postcount=8

For those who just can't (or won't) tolerate Unity I cooked this up:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

irv
August 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM
12.04 is the upgraded version.
I would do a screen shot but dont know were to find the program.
The "Dash Home" is at the top left and only shows recent used apps/files/dl.
Yes u can do a search but memorizing programs is not my thing and thats what menu’s are great for. SO has this new version doe away with Menu’s? if so then I would rather uninstall the new version.

Thanks!

The program to take snapshots is call Screenshot
and the dash has a filter. look at the bottom of the dash and you will grey looking icons to change what you are looking for.
Once you use Unity for awhile and get use to it. It will grow on you. Don't dismiss it to fast. I did and then came back to it, and now I wouldn't be without it. I can move around much faster and find things quicker. You don't need to know the name of the program you want. Take for example if you are looking for a utility to do something with a drive. Just type drive and it will list any program that deals with drives.

Neil_Mac
August 29th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Ok so after clicking on the grey icons the filter shows up.
It still does not show some of the progs I used when I click the selections. Gimp not showing, Pan wont work, Stellraium wont show up unless I type it.
So it appears allot are hidden still.

Thanks for the links :)
Will keep looking.

Thanks!

irv
August 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Ok so after clicking on the grey icons the filter shows up.
It still does not show some of the progs I used when I click the selections. Gimp not showing, Pan wont work, Stellraium wont show up unless I type it.
So it appears allot are hidden still.

Thanks for the links :)
Will keep looking.

Thanks!
If you have them installed they should show up. Here is Gimp, I don't have Pan installed, and I have no idea what Stellraium is. I can't find it in the software center or the Package manager.
223361 223362

Neil_Mac
August 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Just got back and checked again, they are now showing up, so maybe the icons are sill being upgraded/loaded ?
Pan still not work, here is the error Im getting.

Thanks!

irv
August 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Just got back and checked again, they are now showing up, so maybe the icons are sill being upgraded/loaded ?
Pan still not work, here is the error Im getting.

Thanks!

I think the problem is you need to be login to some account. Also since you did a reason install. Did you do all the update after the install? If you didn't run the update manager.

Neil_Mac
August 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I let the system do what it need needed, as for Pan, the login info is already set, so basically push a button to connect.

Thanks!

Neil_Mac
August 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Actualy its strange that the computer Icon is red, when I click on Restart to complete updates its white then red, did this 4 times, even when I click on Check updates, it says the machine is up to date.

Thanks!

irv
August 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM
By the way I just wanted to say that those little grey icons in the dash are called lens. You can add lens to your dash. Take for example News Lens. you can it by opening a terminal and typing:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:scopes-packagers/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install unity-lens-news
Go to this link to learn more about the News Lens (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/unity-news-lens-helps-you-find-news-fast).
Also if you want to install other Lens go HERE (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?s=News+lens):
See what you would be missing if you went back to a menu OS. This is one reason why I would miss Unity. And there are many other reasons I would miss it.

Neil_Mac
August 29th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Ok thanks! installed them :)

irv
August 29th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Your Welcome.