PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu 12.04 Desktop Issues

buster2209
August 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I have two questions;

1 - Is it possible to start a program minmized to the taskbar?

2 - Is it possible to change the icons in the taskbar? I have noticed that some icons in the taskbar differ to what is shown in the menu. Where are the icons used in the taskbar located?

JKyleOKC
August 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I can't answer question 1, but question 2 is fairly simple. Right-click the icon, select "Panel" from the context menu, there select the Items tab, and locate the appropriate launcher from the list that results. You can count from the "Separator" item to locate the one you want. Select it, then click the pencil-like "edit" button beside the list to bring up the editing dialog for the selected launcher. Next, click the icon shown in the editing dialog; it will bring up a window of application icons. You can change the category to "All" to see everything, then pick the one you want to use, highlight it, and click OK/Save (I'm not at my 12.04 system right now). That does it.

You can edit them all with only one trip to the panel items list.

Hope this helps!

LewisTM
August 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM
1) See here (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/how-to-start-applications-minimized.html).

2) No you cannot. The taskbar and window title bar icons are determined internally by the app. Launcher icons are determined by the user and can follow a given icon theme.

Cheers!

JKyleOKC
August 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Strange! I've done the icon change exactly as I described it. Just yesterday I changed the default "Web Browser" icon to the "Firefox" standard one. Remember this is xubuntu, not ubuntu, and there's a lot of detail differences in this area. I find that xubuntu gives me much more control, in many areas, even though it takes some away as I've mentioned in another thread about the CPU Graph...

LewisTM
August 29th, 2012, 08:00 PM
You can change the icon for a launcher, hell you can even put your portrait as the icon. You will never see that portrait on the taskbar i.e. the Window Buttons panel plugin.

A dock application like Cairo-Dock or Unity can do that because the launchers capture the launched tasks and become task buttons, keeping their custom, themed icon.

Cheers!

JKyleOKC
August 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Agreed; I (possibly wrongly) inferred that when the OP asked about changing icons on "the taskbar" he was referring to the group of launchers that's centered on the bottom panel, rather than to the window buttons on the left side of the top panel, since Windows refers to the entire bottom panel area as "the taskbar" and the window button area usually has no icons unless a window is open.

I've actually moved my window button area to the bottom panel and moved the group of launchers to the right side, to make it look a bit more like I'm used to from Lucid LTS...