PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resizing Partition... frozen!

compiz addict
August 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm installing Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Ubuntu 11.10 on my netbook. At this point, the progress bar looks exactly half complete, and it isn't moving from there at all. No terminal activity, and I can't tell what it stopped at because I since reconnected my wifi (which for some reason outputs to the same terminal?). What should I do at this point? Is there something I can do to unfreeze it? (Like maybe shut off some program it's waiting on?)

compiz addict
August 29th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I just restarted, since I'm very impatient, and now I get to see what damage was done to my partition. Hopefully it was finished resizing and the GUI just never responded to that... otherwise, all my important stuff is on Dropbox.

irv
August 29th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I just restarted, since I'm very impatient, and now I get to see what damage was done to my partition. Hopefully it was finished resizing and the GUI just never responded to that... otherwise, all my important stuff is on Dropbox.

Will it still boot into 11.10?
To be honest with your 12.04 is much better then 11.10. And seeing you are installing it on a Netbook I would just go with 12.04. I install it on a friend Netbook and it really works well. And he had a lowend Netbook.

compiz addict
August 29th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure if it boots, but I can access all the files in the partition fine. I'm now trying to resize it in GParted, and it's been going for quite a while now. I have a USB hard-drive I can use to temporarily store stuff if all else fails though (so long as the drive still works after GParted is done with it).

irv
August 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if it boots, but I can access all the files in the partition fine. I'm now trying to resize it in GParted, and it's been going for quite a while now. I have a USB hard-drive I can use to temporarily store stuff if all else fails though (so long as the drive still works after GParted is done with it).

I know what you mean about taking along time to resize. Just be patient you don't want to interrupt it.