PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] rsync help

bakegoodz
August 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I finally setup my offsite back for /home on my home computer, but my backup copy has been out of sync for a month. So I did a manual rsync to make sure I get it right before I set it as cron job. I left it to run overnight, but I found it this morning coping already existing files. I'm sure I got both folders right and I didn't find duplicates. I will do another manual device to device sync onsite and then try a remote rsync again. My question is: Is there a problem with my syntax? Is is set to copy just changes?

rsync -avH -e ssh --progress user@user.dyndns.com:/home/user /media/backup/user

SeijiSensei
August 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Using the "-n" switch means that the files will not actually be transferred; that's the "dry-run" option for debugging purposes.

Next, if you want to make /media/backup/user be identical to the remote's /home/user, you should use /media/backup as the target destination. Otherwise you'll find you have a folder called /media/backup/user/user on the backup host.

Lars Noodén
August 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I think that the directories should have the closing slash (/) for rsync to work properly.

rsync -avHn -e ssh --progress user@user.dyndns.com:/home/user/ /media/backup/user/

bakegoodz
August 29th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Your right, but I removed the -n on the command I ran

I will try it with the closing slash later. I think I'll get them synced again onsite first.

koenn
August 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think that the directories should have the closing slash (/) for rsync to work properly.

rsync -avHn -e ssh --progress user@user.dyndns.com:/home/user/ /media/backup/user/

IIRC trailing slashes do have meaning, especially on the source dir.so they don't need to be there unless the effect they have suits your needs or intend.

I usually put a trailing slash on the source dir, and not on the destination dir, because I find that the most intuitive : I think of the trailing (source dir) slash as 'short for .../*'

so

rsync /home/koenn/ user@server:/backups/koenn

reads as : contents of /home/koenn/ goes to /backups/koenn

this also handles the directory issue SeijiSensei pointed out