PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting from Live CD gives user name and password?

Gordonbp531
August 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I installed XP on my Netbook, don't like it! Much prefer Ubuntu both aesthetically and security wise.
I booted from the 12.04 Live CD, which took MUCH longer than usual, and instead of the usual Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu buttons, it's come up with a Username and Password box! Never ever seen that before - what do I put in these boxes?

ajgreeny
August 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I installed XP on my Netbook, don't like it! Much prefer Ubuntu both aesthetically and security wise.
I booted from the 12.04 Live CD, which took MUCH longer than usual, and instead of the usual Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu buttons, it's come up with a Username and Password box! Never ever seen that before - what do I put in these boxes?
Probably nothing!

It sounds as if your CD or USB is corrupt. Perhaps the iso file you used was bad, which you can check at UbuntuHashes - MD5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes) by comparing the md5sum listed with your file's. If there is any difference at all, you need to download again, if it checks our properly you just need to "burn" the USB or CD again.

Just out of interest see what happens if you enter ubuntu as user and leave the password box empty. It might log you in, but I would still be a bit wary of using it to install your OS, as that should not be necessary.

Gordonbp531
August 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Probably nothing!

It sounds as if your CD or USB is corrupt.

It booted perfectly normally in my laptop, as did a Linux Mint CD in the ext drive I use for my netbook. So no hardware problems then.
I cleaned the CD and it booted normally. Possibly the ext drive is far more sensitive to dirty disks than my laptop drive is....
so all is now well!