PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems upgrading

chuning
August 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM
my main computer has for a while been telling me that there are upgrades available (i'm using 11.04), but when i click for that upgrade, it has told me that i'll be upgrading to 11.04, so i've cancelled and thought i'd deal with it another time. i finally decided to deal with it whilst off work..........

first of all, i followed instructions on the ubuntu site for how to upgrade from 11.04 to 12.04 - it went through all the process of downloading files, installing, etc etc, then restarted. after the initial boot screen, it just went black, and after a while the hard disk light stopped showing any signs of life. i tried rebooting a few times, and the same.

i then went to my netbook to download a fresh install of 12.04 to a usb stick - followed all the instructions, booted my main computer from the usb stick - same result. i tried two more usb sticks - same result. i burned a cd and a dvd, tried both in the cd drive of the computer - same result. tried both in an external cd drive - same result.

help!!!

Laiquendi
August 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM
You message is not too clear for me;

followed all the instructions, booted my main computer from the usb stick - same result.
You mean - it is booting and you installed system and THEN the problem returned, or you wasn't even able to boot from USB?

chuning
August 28th, 2012, 10:42 PM
it started booting, showed a purple screen, then went black