PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8 to 10.4 - general error mounting filesystems

The Hypnotoad
August 28th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Can anybody help me out with this please (I have already asked but I asked to start a new thread)

Basically my works computer with ubunutu has no internet access so I only bring it home to update it once every so often.

It was running Heron but I had a lot of problems recently so I took the computer home and updated via the terminal, the computer rebooted after the update and the boot menu loaded up showing I had updated to 10.4. When I go to run however I get a error loading up. I found this post in a previous thread that is basically the same issue as mine.

Re: Upgrade to 10.4 - general error mounting filesystems
OK, so this damn problem has put my linux computer out of commission since upgrading to 10.04 several months ago. Believe me, I scoured every forum and tried every other suggested solution out there. Thanks to mcilroy_je for turning me onto what finally turned out to be the fix.

For any other newbies like me, here's a more detailed description of what to do.

If you're getting an error something like:

ureadahead terminated with status 5.
udev_monitor_new_from_netlink: error getting socket: Invalid Argument
mountall:mountall.c:3204 assertion failed in main: udev_monitor = udev_monitor_new_from_netlink(udev,"udev")
init: mountall main process (2532) killed by ABRT signal.
General error mounting filesystems

I suggest rebooting using CTRL-SHIFT-D, and logging into your recovery shell.
Then, try typing at the prompt:
locate menu.lst

If your problem was anything like mine, you'll probably see something like
/boot/grub/menu.lst
/boot/grub/menu.lst~
/usr/share/doc/grub/examples/menu.lst/usr/share/doc/memtest86+/examples/grub-menu.lst
/var/lib/ucf/cache/:var:run:grub:menu.lst

The /boot/grub/menu.lst was my menu.lst from Ubuntu 8.04 (what I was using before the upgrade); I took a look at it (less /boot/grub/menu.lst) and sure enough, I could tell it hadn't been changed by the upgrade. Same old kernels, no changes to my dual boot instructions at the bottom of the file. Some example menu.lst files in /usr/share didn't seem weird. But the one in /var/lib/ did seem pretty odd. So I looked at that (less /var/lib/ucf/cache/:var:run:grub:menu.lst) and sure enough, it looked like a newer version of menu.lst.

So, I wanted to try moving the menu.lst in /var/lib to the boot directory and try rebooting, in case the upgrade to 10.04 had mistakenly put the new menu.lst file in the wrong place. To be safe, I first moved /boot/grub/menu.lst to /boot/grub/menu.lst.save:

mv /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.save

Then I copied the other menu.lst into the grub directory:

cp /var/lib/ucf/cache/:var:run:grub:menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then I rebooted (CTRL-SHIFT-D), and voila, successful upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04. Hope this works for you. If you continue to get errors related to flashplugin-nonfree, you might try following the instructions at the top of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469475 first.

Cheers, and hope this helps someone.

-Lewis
I tried to do this fix but when I try to move or copy the menu.lst it comes up with an file system error saying 'Read Only File System' error.

Once I can load the computer up hopefully I can upgrade to 12 but at the minute I cant get past this.

Thanks

The Hypnotoad
August 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Sorrry to push this but has anybody got any ideas. Ive gone a day without my works computer I cant really go another.

thanks

oldos2er
August 28th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Please do not bump your post more than once every 24 hours.