PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive problem

kuraiitaki
August 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have two internal hdd's: one 160gb for operating system and one 1tb for storage. I also have two other people who use my computer who I've set up with standard accounts. One of my users was trying to watch a movie from the storage hdd, but was unable to access said drive. When I logged onto my admin account, I could access the drive. Is this a permissions problem? How do I let my users access the drive? I'm hoping I don't need to make them administrators as they like to mess with things they shouldn't...

taras.kuzyo
August 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
run in terminal:

ls -l <path to movie>
and post here output

Naimar
August 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM
sudo chmod 777 /media/usbhd/movie.avi (or whatever file)

kuraiitaki
August 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Taras, will try when I get home and let you know.
Naimar, when I tried sudo commands with the standard user, it gave me an error and said it had been reported.

cortman
August 28th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Naimar, when I tried sudo commands with the standard user, it gave me an error and said it had been reported.

That's because your user was not in sudoers.
I doubt you need write/execute permissions simply to play a video file.

What exactly do you mean by "cannot access the drive". Does the drive show up in /mnt or /media, but they can't browse files in it? Or does it not show up at all?
It could be the way it's mounted.

kuraiitaki
August 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
sudo chmod 777 /media/usbhd/movie.avi (or whatever file)

That's because your user was not in sudoers.
I doubt you need write/execute permissions simply to play a video file.

What exactly do you mean by "cannot access the drive". Does the drive show up in /mnt or /media, but they can't browse files in it? Or does it not show up at all?
It could be the way it's mounted.

They aren't even able to see that it is a part of the system. When I bring up a folder to nav, it's listed as a device on the left hand bar of the window just like bookmarks and other links, but when my other user brings up a window to nav to it, it just isn't there.

cortman
August 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM
They aren't even able to see that it is a part of the system. When I bring up a folder to nav, it's listed as a device on the left hand bar of the window just like bookmarks and other links, but when my other user brings up a window to nav to it, it just isn't there.

This link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticallyMountPartitions) should help you. See the section on Systemwide Mounting. Any questions, post back.

kuraiitaki
August 28th, 2012, 10:33 PM
This link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticallyMountPartitions) should help you. See the section on Systemwide Mounting. Any questions, post back.

This is what the commands it told me to run returned with:

kurix@HomePC:$ /usr/bin/udisks --mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/B0D4F9D5DF99E32
Mount failed: /dev/sbd5 is mounted

cortman
August 28th, 2012, 10:49 PM
This is what the commands it told me to run returned with:

kurix@HomePC:$ /usr/bin/udisks --mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/B0D4F9D5DF99E32
Mount failed: /dev/sbd5 is mounted

First run

sudo umount /dev/sdb5