PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu via USB boot on Acer travelmate 2200

newparrot
August 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hi

I have successfully made a bootable USB to install Ubuntu(want to remove existing OS completely) but I cant figure out how to boot from USB?

I have tried boot menu and from hardware device. I went into BIOS menu and enabled the USB device, but this doesnt seem to have helped.

Any ideas please?(Its running XP SP3 if that helps)

Many thanks in advance

Gokutux
August 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Connect the usb and boot your system... with bios change the boot order of hard drives and set 1st the usb device,save this settings and reboot!
If you can't see the usb I think that your motherboard doesn't give you this option and you can't boot from usb...
If everything it's ok and you want to boot from hard drive restart your system and remove the usb!With this every time you connect the bootable usb your system boots from there...

newparrot
August 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for that, managed to boot up from USB....

But now I am installing and I have a black screen with lots of writing on it and nothing is happening! (I am posting from my desktop now)

newparrot
August 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I think I have fixed this myself. I turned off the laptop and rebooted the USB drive and this time selected Install>replace windows OS with Ubuntu and its installing itself as we speak :)

Thanks for your help :)

newparrot
August 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Well it has installed-but is running UNBEARABLY slow :( Is the 12.04 too much for my (old) machine? I have only just installed a new 1gb RAM so i dont think its that(win xp was running ok on it before installed ubuntu.

Is there a dumbed down version I should install instead?

Gokutux
August 28th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Well it has installed-but is running UNBEARABLY slow :( Is the 12.04 too much for my (old) machine? I have only just installed a new 1gb RAM so i dont think its that(win xp was running ok on it before installed ubuntu.

Is there a dumbed down version I should install instead?

I think 1GB of RAM it's not enough... default the system wants about 500MB! try at session selection screen to choose unity2D(press the ubuntu button near password box)...

newparrot
August 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for that, it is not coping with 12.04 at all.

How do I select unity please?

EDIT: Yes I have managed that but it hasnt made any difference :(

Firefox is a pest as well-is there a downgrade I should consider?