PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I expect problems using Maverick

zymm
August 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM
After more than year of trying almost everything I decided to download and try Maverick. I tried Precise 12.04 before that, and maybe I'm crazy to claim it, but I think that Maverick look much professional.

I tried Lubuntu because I use older hardware (I was about to upgrade my system to be able to use 12.04, but then I found Maverick), but with little customisation and little visual effects, Maverick works like charm, I must say almost like lubuntu.

I use desktop version and I'm pretty impressed.

So my question is, should I worry about safety and performance, because of the end of the support of the system since April.

Is it ok to use it in time, because it satisfied my needs completely.

Thanks in advance!

MARP1961
August 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) is no longer supported but 10.04 (Lucid) still is and looks almost the same. However, both are quite old now and I would recommend you try Xubuntu 12.04 or try Linux Mint 13 with MATE desktop.

zymm
August 28th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Neither Xubuntu nor lubuntu likes me..

I've already tried them both.. but just not my flavour. 10.04 expires in 2013 which is close. I like mint but would like to stick to Maverick as long as I can.

So as a newbie I just want to know if I will have problems installing some applications, using web apps and so on... I know the negatives like not being able to install latest firefox for example, but is it easy to infect with viruses using Maverick?

Xubuntu is not fast anymore, and ubuntu is not such pleasure..

zombifier25
August 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
You can stick to Maverick - but there will be problems:
1. Unsupported releases don't just have their repositories abandoned - they are removed entirely. So there will be no way to install new programs.
2. You will expose yourself to bugs and security issues.

So you should not use an unsupported release. Have you tried GNOME Classic in 12.04? It looks identical to GNOME 2.

zymm
August 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
1. Unsupported releases don't just have their repositories abandoned - they are removed entirely. So there will be no way to install new programs.

So you should not use an unsupported release. Have you tried GNOME Classic in 12.04? It looks identical to GNOME 2.

12.04 is an issue when it comes to 512 of ram and i686 non pie. And Maverick is great even more.. but it seems that bugs will be a problem.

How sad for 10.10 fans, I use it for a week but it's like I've been using it for years.. :neutral:

Frogs Hair
August 28th, 2012, 02:23 PM
You can explore the possible solution at the link. With 512 Mb of ram Xubuntu and Lubuntu are the best options for a current Ubuntu release. http://askubuntu.com/questions/101479/are-existing-updates-available-after-end-of-support

zymm
August 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM
You can explore the possible solution at the link. With 512 Mb of ram Xubuntu and Lubuntu are the best options for a current Ubuntu release. http://askubuntu.com/questions/101479/are-existing-updates-available-after-end-of-support

Many thanks! Long live Maverick :p

Erik1984
August 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM

This is not entirely true, there will be an entry for Maverick in the old-releases repo. You have to changes sources.list to use the old-releases repository. Then you can still apt-get install stuff and receive the most recent (for Maverick) updates. There won't be any new updates (from after april 2012) in there though. http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

Overall I agree with you it's not advisable to install Maverick.

eddier
August 28th, 2012, 11:59 PM
If you want a Gnome 2 type desktop then I can thoroughly recommend SolusOS.
Its Debian based and a lot of useful software is installed during installation.

eddie