PDA

View Full Version : return type of main

IAMTubby
August 28th, 2012, 10:01 AM
1.I've heard that

int main(void)
is the best way to start main.

So that means that my program returns an integer to gcc ?
Am I returning to gcc ? That's my first question.

2.What does gcc do with these return values.
We normally return 0, 1, -1 right?
So on what basis does it decide successful/failure of program ?

3.I tried doing

int main(float a)
just for experimenting, and it still doesn't throw any error.

#include <stdio.h>

int main(float a)
{
printf("\nHello world ");
printf("%f",a);

return 0;
}

Does it mean that the gcc is implemented such that it can pass variable number of arguments to a program ?

MG&TL
August 28th, 2012, 10:19 AM
1.I've heard that

int main(void)is the best way to start main.
That is *one* way to start main.

So that means that my program returns an integer to gcc ?No, it's returning a value to the operating system.

Am I returning to gcc ? That's my first question.GCC's just a compiler. It doesn't have anything to do with actually running the program.

So on what basis does it decide successful/failure of program ?GCC doesn't actually do anything with them...you can return any value, but returning 0 is considered a 'successful' program.

3.I tried doing

int main(float a)just for experimenting, and it still doesn't throw any error.You can pass any variable to main, but normally you'd use:

int main(int argc, char **argv)so you can use the arguments passed to your program.

Does it mean that the gcc is implemented such that it can pass variable number of arguments to a program ?Err, not GCC, but yes, you can pass arguments to a program.

spjackson
August 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM
So on what basis does it decide successful/failure of program ?

The C99 Standard only defines 0, EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE. Any other value returned from main is implementation defined, i.e. it depends on your compiler and operating system. For gcc on Linux, this effectively means values in the range 0-255. Returning -1 from main is usually a mistake by the programmer.

int main(float a)just for experimenting, and it still doesn't throw any error.
If you compile with gcc -Wall or gcc -pedantic then you get warnings about this. The C99 standard says

int main(void) { /* ... */ }
or
int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { /* ... */ }
or "some other implementation-defined manner."

Bachstelze
August 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM
The C99 Standard only defines 0, EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE. Any other value returned from main is implementation defined, i.e. it depends on your compiler and operating system.

What do you mean by that? A value cannot be "implementation-defined", it is what it is. If I return 2 from main, then I will return 2. What is implementation-defined is what the calling process does when it encounters this value, and of course it is, because it has nothing to do with the C language and is thus outside the scope of the C standard. Heck, I could even write a program that considers EXIT_SUCCESS a failure, and I would only violate convention, not a standard.

IAMTubby
August 28th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Sir,
so do all non-negative values come under success ? Just trying to make a pattern.
Will you be able to tell me how it classifies the return values as success/failure.

And although MG&TL has already cleared above, I would like to hear from you as to who receives the return value from a program ? -GCC ? OS ?

Thanks.

Bachstelze
August 28th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Sir,
so do all non-negative values come under success ? Just trying to make a pattern.
Will you be able to tell me how it classifies the return values as success/failure.

As spjackson said, the values returnes from main() on Linux (and all POSIX systems) are in the range 0-255. There is no negative values. The convention is that 0 indicates success and anything else indicates failure, but this is not an absolute rule. There are a lot of examples of applications that will return some non-zero value even in case of success (for example, if there were warnings). Normally, it should be documented in the program's manual page or other documentation.

And although MG&TL has already cleared above, I would like to hear from you as to who receives the return value from a program ? -GCC ? OS ?

It is implementation-defined. On POSIX, it is returned to the parent process (via the wait() system call). If you run a program from a shell, this means the shell, and you can access it with the ? special variable:

firas@aoba ~ % ls foo*
zsh: no matches found: foo*
firas@aoba ~ % echo $?

Note the non-zero code, which in this case indicates failure, as is conventional.

spjackson
August 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM
What do you mean by that? A value cannot be "implementation-defined", it is what it is. If I return 2 from main, then I will return 2. What is implementation-defined is what the operating system does when it encounters this value, and of course it is, because it has nothing to do with the C language and is thus outside the scope of the C standard. Heck, I could even write an OS that considers EXIT_SUCCESS a failure, and I would only violate convention, not a standard.
What I mean by that is that a return from main is equivalent to a call to exit() and
the status passed to exit is defined thus:

ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (E), 7.20.4.3 The exit function, Paragraph 5
"Finally, control is returned to the host environment. If the value of status is zero or
EXIT_SUCCESS, an implementation-defined form of the status successful termination is
returned. If the value of status is EXIT_FAILURE, an implementation-defined form
of the status unsuccessful termination is returned. Otherwise the status returned is
implementation-defined."

There is no guarantee from the standard that 2 returned from main will be returned as 2 to the operating system. However, an implementation may make that guarantee. As I understand it on Linux (and most Unixes probably), the least significant 8 bits of the status argument is passed to the OS as the exit status.

IAMTubby
August 28th, 2012, 02:40 PM
As spjackson said, the values returnes from main() on Linux (and all POSIX systems) are in the range 0-255. There is no negative values. The convention is that 0 indicates success and anything else indicates failure, but this is not an absolute rule. There are a lot of examples of applications that will return some non-zero value even in case of success (for example, if there were warnings). Normally, it should be documented in the program's manual page or other documentation.

It is implementation-defined. On POSIX, it is returned to the parent process (via the wait() system call). If you run a program from a shell, this means the shell, and you can access it with the ? special variable:

firas@aoba ~ % ls foo*
zsh: no matches found: foo*
firas@aoba ~ % echo $?

Note the non-zero code, which in this case indicates failure, as is conventional.
Thank you so much for this example. I tried it out and was really helpful.
Just a small query : Why does it return 1 for you and 2 for me on failure. Does that vary from system-to-system ?

Bachstelze
August 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Because there are different kinds of failure. ;) As I said, it should be documented in the manual page. Indeed, man ls says:

Exit status:
0 if OK,

1 if minor problems (e.g., cannot access subdirectory),

2 if serious trouble (e.g., cannot access command-line argument).

Sometimes there are a lot of possible exit codes (see man e2fsck).

IAMTubby
August 28th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Thank you, it's now clear.
Can I wait for some time, ponder about it, and then mark the thread as solved tomorrow ? (It's night in this part of the world)

1 more question :
Is there a possibility that I, ls something that causes ls to stop working(instead of handling it and returning 1 or 2 like in the example above). In that case, what does it return ?

Bachstelze
August 28th, 2012, 02:54 PM
It depends what you mean by "stop working". In general, a process never "stops working". The only case where it can look like it does is when it is stuck in an infinite loop, or it makes a system call that for some reason keeps blocking. In that case it will never exit, and you will never get your shel back. Try for example

sleep 10

and imagine that instead of exiting after 10 seconds, it never does.

IAMTubby
August 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Okay. I mean something like a Segmentation Fault.
Suppose a string that I pass results in a Segmentation Fault to ls, what would the return value be ?

That's like an unhandled case right ?

MG&TL
August 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Suppose a string that I pass results in a Segmentation Fault to ls, what would the return value be ?

Nope, someone else's program cleans up your program's mess. :)

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/BFROOT/www/Computing/Environment/Tools/Batch/exitcode.html

IAMTubby
August 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM
MG&TL,
Thanks for that. Shall go through the document and reply. But I kind of get what you are trying to tell me even without going through the document.

Bachstelze
August 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM

You could have tested that yourself. ;)

firas@aoba ~ % cat test.c
int main(void)
{
char t[50];
int i=0;
for (;;) {
t[i++] = 0;
}
}
firas@aoba ~ % gcc -o test test.c