PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem installing printer network

thenovelist
August 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I have a HP Photosmart 7510 networking printer. I have tried on several occasions to get Ubuntu 12.04 to install it. Alas without success, which is not unusual for me and my limited experience with Ubuntu. How can I get my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to see my printer? I have printed out the IP address, subnet mask etc from my printer, hoping it would assist me, but its all gobbledygook. I therefore have a printer I can't use. Any help would be grateful - Thank you

nativehound
August 28th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I had a similar problem. The system settings printer manger in 12.04 is useless imho. i had to used the old

system-config-printer

to get my network printer recognized.

gl

thenovelist
August 28th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for your reply. I found that the HP7510 wasn't listed, so that is also another problem.

thenovelist
September 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Ah well, thank god I have my Windows. It seems I can't rely on linux to do what I would have thought a simple thing. Alas not simple for me unfortunately as I have not got the experience. Maybe one day :lolflag:

thenovelist
September 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Here's the thing; just loaded Ubuntu onto my wifes laptop this morning and the printer worked. I used the same method with no problem. So why can't my 64bit comp work with the printer! It really is dam frustrating

PLEASE any one have any ideas on how I can proceed

thenovelist
October 12th, 2012, 07:28 PM
PLEASSSEEE could someone assist. I cannot print anything and have to rely on my wife's laptop which is not acceptable. I have scoured the web without resolution as to how to resolve this dam problem. I want to ditch Windows completely but I think in hine sight with problems such as this that would be suicide. The wife can achieve printing with her Ubuntu 32bit, but I cannot print a dam thing from my 64bit comp. All the setting are the same on my wifes printer as they are mine, so why can't I print?

kurt18947
October 12th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I am not well versed with HP printers. Do you have hplip & hplip-gui installed? They're in the repositories and can be installed using either Ubuntu software center or (my favorite) Synaptic. You may find these helpful.

thenovelist
October 13th, 2012, 02:15 PM
You are a STAR!! It is now working. I didn't know about the HP apps and its working great. Shall also put it on my wifes as the software does a lot more than the standard printer links