PDA

View Full Version : Tablet for netbook replacement?

Los Frijoles
August 28th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I have a netbook computer (Acer Aspire One) that I use for school while leaving my desktop computer at my apartment. I use it mainly for notes and for SSH'ing into the school servers to do my projects that require lots of fast computing power (i.e. CS projects that need compiling when I am on battery). It is almost 4 years old now (bought it in September/October 2008 ) and the battery has reduced itself to being about to run for 3-4 hours tops if I am careful about what I do (wireless turned off, killing all stray processes, one program at a time, etc). It is to the point were I can't make it through one day of class (especially my wednesdays: 5 hours of classes with little access to power sockets). While I could just buy a new battery with 9 cells for around $50 and get around 8-10 hours of battery life out of it there has always been one thing that I have wanted on my laptop: A touchscreen so I could draw on my notes.

Recently I got to play around a bit with a Google Nexus 7 one of my friends bought and I am seriously considering replacing my Aspire One with it since it has better specs. However, I have a few misgivings and I am hoping someone here could shed some light on what I want to know. Most people use their tablets for media and such and while I would use it for that I would really like it to fill all the roles (as far as it can) that my netbook fills. These are:

- Taking notes in class (I would buy a bluetooth keyboard). The screen is pretty small, but if I were to use a program that would allow me to increase the text size that would work. Also, it would be cool if there was a program that would let me draw on my notes so I don't have to use LaTeX for equations anymore. I would hope that since Ubuntu runs on Android based things that I could continue to use Tomboy notes I already have as well...
- SSH'ing to my server and the school servers for stuff
- Being able to complete assignments in some program that allows me to draw on a page or pages, save to PDF, and upload it to a site. This is how I have to turn in assignments for one of my classes. Most people use a camera or scanner, but my scanner is wireless and doesn't seem to work over wireless with linux and I don't own a camera high resolution enough to take pictures of assignments with.
- Using some sort of development environment that runs either on the device or on Linux to mess around with creating apps for Android (mobile apps fascinate me)
- Being able to use the Linux command line to manipulate the filesystem like I do on my desktop (not a must, but it would be nice)

Can these things all be done with a Google Nexus 7 running Ubuntu with Android? My main reason for not getting a tablet before now has been the abstraction and obfuscation of the insides that Apple likes to do and the fact that I have been unsure if it will fill my use cases I mentioned above.

Also, what is the extent to which Ubuntu duplicates its normal computer functionality on Android devices? Is it running using the X window system? Do GTK-based applications work? Does it implement a terminal?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Copper Bezel
August 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Running Ubuntu on Android happens through VNC, whether it's a virtual machine or just remote. I haven't tried it with my Nexus 7, simply because it sounds too dodgy and awkward for everyday tasks. The Ubuntu for Android system devised by Canonical requires a special phone that hasn't been released and a dock, much like the Motorola Atrix, except as vaporware. (Perhaps that's overly harsh.) It's not the same as what you're doing with all those very legit-sounding installers.

It's going to be a lot easier to just find an alternative to Tomboy, sad to say. (Tomboy is easily one of my favorite things going back to my netbook from my Nexus.)

I don't get to play with things like SSH as an English teacher, but I'm pretty sure that's available.

With a rooted device, you have full access to the filesystem from terminal.

If you're taking notes with a keyboard, there are some reasonably small keyboards out there, like that of the HP Touchpad. It's still going to be bulkier than the Nexus 7 itself, and you'll need a stand case, since the tablet doesn't have a kickstand and the keyboard doesn't dock to it. You might consider something that does have the keyboard, like the Transformer.

PDF markup is one place where Android shines. There's no equivalent to ezPDF on Ubuntu.

mamamia88
August 28th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Have you considered getting an extra battery for your netbook? It should be significantly cheaper.

Copper Bezel
August 28th, 2012, 05:56 AM
He mentioned that option and said that the touchscreen is part of the deal, too. Sadly, though, I just don't think there's anything that offers the whole kit right now. (I'd personally love an MS Surface running Ubuntu. Not the Surface Pro - the ARM version, with a bootloader unlocked by special dispensation from a minor deity. Although the Pro has active pen support, too, which would be nice for all that note-taking.)

mamamia88
August 28th, 2012, 06:07 AM
He mentioned that option and said that the touchscreen is part of the deal, too. Sadly, though, I just don't think there's anything that offers the whole kit right now. (I'd personally love an MS Surface running Ubuntu. Not the Surface Pro - the ARM version, with a bootloader unlocked by special dispensation from a minor deity. Although the Pro has active pen support, too, which would be nice for all that note-taking.)

fair enough. it might be a better investment of your money to get a new scanner that works in linux. they can be had for really cheap. and if you really want you can still get the tablet. why not have the best of both? just look for a deal on the scanner shouldn't be too hard to come by. or better yet make friends with somebody who can let you use the scanner to submit your assignment.

electrosquirrel
August 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM
After a year living with an Android tablet, I'd go with the new battery. Tablets are nice webbrowsers, but they're fundamentally not meant for any productive work. I find typing even a moderate length e-mail or a forum post awkward with the tablet.

I actually bought that aforementioned tablet to replace my old Aspire One, also. That was a little over a year ago. Last week I acquired an ultrabook to replace the tablet. It's nice to swipe away on the touchscreen, but a little time with Android really made me miss my Kubuntu desktop on the go.

Copper Bezel
August 28th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Meh. There are things to miss both ways. And he did mention getting a keyboard. There's no question that onscreen keyboards are awkward for lengthy typing.

For his use case, a small notebook does seem better suited than a tablet. He needs some serious power tools that aren't going to come easily on a tablet.

sffvba[e0rt
August 28th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I have a Galaxy S3 and a Bluetooth keyboard/track-pad combo on the way... with the ability to attach it to any HDMI display as well as external storage I could easily use this as a primary device if needed.