PDA

View Full Version : Ever been banned from another forum for promoting linux?

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I will not name the board, but I just got mulit- IP banned for having something pro-linux in my sig. In one click I got my home, work, mom's and dad's IP addy banned. The Board is very pro microsoft, but they do have a small open source sub-forum. I have been there a long time and It makes me so mad!

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Seems a bit rediculous. Have a word with them, and anyway what was it for? I haven't been banned (yet).

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Seems a bit rediculous. I thought most countries are free? Have a word with them, and anyway what was it for?

I tried. No responce from the Admin. mods or anyone else.

I dont know why I got banned. My last post was a links screenshot .

curuxz
June 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I thought most countries are free? .

Name one.

That forum sounds stupid, post the link please :)

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Name one.
Not the USA anyway.

Jasper Houtman
June 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Just stay here :)
We are much nicer to talk to than people on a pro-Micro$oft board.
We actualy try to help people, not convince them to use a unstable virus/spyware/adware piece of bugware OS. (XP. NT and 2000 where not to bad though... What whent wrong after that? And vista.... looooots of work left on that one.)

glotz
June 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Either your sig must have been real hellish or then there must be some crazy pr0-MS admins. Either way, if you want to access the site again, use a proxy. Note the privacy implications of doing so however.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Mabye I'll get banned here because of my sig., eh glotz!

glotz
June 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
heh (guess i'm on safe ground there... ;) )

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Name one.

That forum sounds stupid, post the link please :)

I dont want to start a forum war, plus the Admins here would not like it.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM
heh (guess i'm on safe ground there... ;) )
Yes, you should be safe here. Actually somebody PM'ed me today asking for help on speeding up firefox, oops. It's a good thing that you made me put the warning in.

John.Michael.Kane
June 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
"Do You Feel Lucky? Well Do You Punk!." :mrgreen:
Clint Eastwood

glotz
June 27th, 2006, 09:39 PM
<3 Dirty Harry...

& lol @ bruce!

curuxz
June 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I dont want to start a forum war, plus the Admins here would not like it.

supose ill just have to guess, im asuming a certain forum with a black theme that starts with H is the one in question..?

MaximB
June 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
forget about that forum..it's MS...what could they help you with anyway ?
need an answer ? post your questions in the apropiete place on the forum...
and
good luck !

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM
supose ill just have to guess, im asuming a certain forum with a black theme that starts with H is the one in question..?

No not hardforum

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Clue- they are not into overclocking
more into eye-candy

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
This has turned into a guessing game, anyway I haven't a clue.

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 09:53 PM
They are into windows skinning

GuitarHero
June 27th, 2006, 09:58 PM
use this:
www.yarly.uni.cc

its a proxy site i made to get by my schools web site filters. Fight the man, man.

curuxz
June 27th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Neo?

John.Michael.Kane
June 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM
DR_K13 If other sites want to ban, and bash linux users let them. we as linux user should be used to these kind of things, and should be willing to let it go. ok you was baned from a site that had some use to you there are many other skinning sites for windows that you can use.

Footissimo
June 27th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Neo?

Yes Trinity?

How long ago was the banning? They have may have used a range ban or something for another poster and took you out too. If it's only recent then give them time...if it is Neowin^H^H^H^H^H^Hthe site I think it is then I imagine the bigwig admins are pretty busy :)

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM
DR_K13 If other sites want to ban, and bash linux users let them. we as linux user should be used to these kind of things, and should be willing to let it go. ok you was baned from a site that had some use to you there are many other skinning sites for windows that you can use.

I know, I am letting it go, I just thought that it was very screwed up what they did, I was only there for the few small group of Nix users, not for windows skinning.

I really think that people who are affiliated with MS tend to be scared to death of Nix.

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Yes Trinity?

How long ago was the banning? They have may have used a range ban or something for another poster and took you out too. If it's only recent then give them time...if it is Neowin^H^H^H^H^H^Hthe site I think it is then I imagine the bigwig admins are pretty busy :)

I plead the 5th as far as the site goes.

It was a Multi IP ban .

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
use this:
www.yarly.uni.cc

its a proxy site i made to get by my schools web site filters. Fight the man, man.

hahaha nice. 8)

curuxz
June 27th, 2006, 10:11 PM
but you did not say yes or no, did I guess right with Neo? cos its a pretty lame forum by the looks of things, i mean if your into skinning/design least make a better theme...

23meg
June 27th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Surface conflicts such as these are best avoided. If you're banned just let it go, avoid any further inquiry. Taking sides and "fighting back" just makes matters worse and strengthens the public image of Linux users as aggressive shut-in zealots. Just enjoy your stay in FOSS communities; the FOSS world is so much better in forming lasting, meaningful online communities.

Footissimo
June 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I plead the 5th as far as the site goes.

It was a Multi IP ban .

Well then it was possibly a mistake, unless you were trolling...I'd just wait to see if the admin get back to you, then rewrite to them in a few days if they don't.

For a Windows centred site, it doesn't seem too bad. How many linux forums do you know that have Windows sections? How long would such a section last..be honest!

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Surface conflicts such as these are best avoided. If you're banned just let it go, avoid any further inquiry. Taking sides and "fighting back" just makes matters worse and strengthens the public image of Linux users as aggressive shut-in zealots. Just enjoy your stay in FOSS communities; the FOSS world is so much better in forming lasting, meaningful online communities.

I agree, I was just wondering if anyone else has been banned for promoting open source.

Christmas
June 27th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I think this kind of actions are just use of power by persons who don't really have a real life and try to be something on the internet. I guess nobody would take a ban in this forums for a pro-microsoft signature. If you got banned, maybe it's not worth to stick with them.

I was surprised by this nice example in LinuxQuestions.org forums. They have this "Programming talk" section, which is specified to be a non *NIX forum section, but, anyway, only Linux users post there. So there was this post from a newbie asking something about C compiling in DevC++, which is a Windows DE. Some of the users there said something like "hey pal, can't you see that this is a Linux forum" but an admin came and calmed down the spirits motivating "It's a non *NIX forum, so your question is in the right place, everything is OK". I liked it and the admins attitude, this are the right forums to be in, not some troll-like forums where you get a ban for saying your own opinions.

Christmas
June 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM
BTW bruce89 I think your signature was funnier without the warning. 8)

rai4shu2
June 27th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Something to keep in mind is that you might be getting blocked by a point earlier in the chain than the forum server itself. Do a traceroute just to be sure.

DR_K13
June 27th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Something to keep in mind is that you might be getting blocked by a point earlier in the chain than the forum server itself. Do a traceroute just to be sure.

Did it

rai4shu2
June 27th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Just checking. Of course, I can't even traceroute to Google so I'm not sure how much you can trust that information.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 11:17 PM
BTW bruce89 I think your signature was funnier without the warning. 8)
So did I.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Yes, you should be safe here. Actually somebody PM'ed me today asking for help on speeding up firefox, oops. It's a good thing that you made me put the warning in.
Actually it was just a joke.