PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys need?

Stromham
June 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
ok so im sitting around in need of a project, but the thing is i cannot think of any ideas, and fixing bugs gets boring after a couple of hours. What i want is for you all to give me ideas for a project you think needs to be done.

It can use any of the following languages:

php
x/html
perl
python
c/c++
c#/j#
java
css
jsp
javascript
(i can do game design aswell)

So post and programs you think ubuntu needs or you really want, and i will make them.

psycho78
June 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
i would love to have a nice working sync application for my palm treo... :-D
gpilotd does not work real good.....
as i read in many threads... many others do have the same need syncing various devices....

Lord Illidan
June 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Join an existing project. Glest would be nice.. Improve some games.

digimars
June 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Agreed, help out with some existing projects. I mean, Linux is great because you get free software, but there are so many half-finished projects out there. If you want to help with a game that looks like it is coming along nicely, why not apply at 0 AD? (http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/) The more help they can get, the quicker they can finish this project.

psycho78
June 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
in my opinion there are so many things to do that are a million times more important than games
... why do you all want games? For easy and good gaming the best is to buy a console.... i am waiting for the ps3...:D

Stromham
June 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM
yes i can do games but they are a last resort against bordem, i may look into syncing devices, but i want to hear more info from you guys before i start. I also i finish what i start.

bieber
June 28th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Well, I'm about to start work on a simplistic browser in C and GTK+. It's to be sort of an always-on-hand thing, that you leave running from startup and can call up with a shortcut key to grab some information quickly or whatever, and then goes away again when not needed. If you feel like helping out, shoot me an email or pm.

Stromham
June 28th, 2006, 09:31 PM
im kinda leaning for website tools, i dont like bluefish, and we need some good tools for website creation.

bieber
June 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Why? We have Gimp for graphics, and there's a multitude of good editors out there. Personally, I use Emacs or Kate, but it's not like there's a shortage of them...

Stromham
June 29th, 2006, 12:30 AM
gimp has its problems, i dont like text editors, and i dont like bluefish, i dont really like any editors we have avilable.

b1g4L
June 29th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Make me a GUI movie database program where I can add/remove movies and rate them based on 1-5. I want to be able to print a full list alaphabetically and search by title/rating.

I did this in Java, but with no GUI.

Anyway, this isn't too difficult, but if you're bored - I could use this to keep track of my movies.

simplyw00x
June 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I'd really like a working mobile phone managment program; i.e. one that can send and receive AT commands. Should be simple enough but no-one seems to have done it yet.

xtacocorex
June 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM
If you want a challenge...

Figure out how to attach a viscous effect to a potential flow solver (panel method) that will allow one to better estimate the flow field around an airfoil.

That was more of a joke, although I will have to modify an old code of mine to do that.

I do know that a couple of people are working on a bittorrent client for gnome called gtorrent. I don't know how far along they are, but somewhere in the Cafe is a thread about it.

roderikk
June 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I do know that a couple of people are working on a bittorrent client for gnome called gtorrent. I don't know how far along they are, but somewhere in the Cafe is a thread about it.

Jep, help on gTorrent would be very welcome. The sooner a decent torrent client is build for Linux the better.