PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing on my old Acer laptop

MonicaT
August 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Hi
I am brand new to all of Linux, Ubuntu et al - but really interested in getting into it.
I want to install ubuntu onto my old laptop (Acer TravelMate 2400).I have made an attachment with the hardware specs.
What I have done: I have downloaded ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386 and created a cd - as per the instructions on 'how to ubuntu'. I booted up with the cd and it started loading then froze/stopped. On the screen is the ubuntu logo with the 5 dot underneath and there the whole process has stayed for the last 1,5 hours.
If anyone could help I would really appreciate it
Thanx a million M

cortman
August 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hi
I am brand new to all of Linux, Ubuntu et al - but really interested in getting into it.
I want to install ubuntu onto my old laptop (Acer TravelMate 2400).I have made an attachment with the hardware specs.
What I have done: I have downloaded ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386 and created a cd - as per the instructions on 'how to ubuntu'. I booted up with the cd and it started loading then froze/stopped. On the screen is the ubuntu logo with the 5 dot underneath and there the whole process has stayed for the last 1,5 hours.
If anyone could help I would really appreciate it
Thanx a million M

Sounds like you should try booting with nomodeset. Instructions here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132).

MonicaT
August 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Thank you, I will try this