PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Media Partitioning Guide

Icarus315
August 27th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I just installed Ubuntu again onto a machine that already had Windows 7 installed on it. I chose to install them side-by-side to each other. When I reached the partitioning step - where you choose how much space to allocate to each - I had two boxes and a slider in the middle to drag back and forth to choose the new partition sizes. The problem with this interface element is that both boxes are unlabeled. I'm supposed to guess which would be Windows 7 and which would be Ubuntu? Anyway, being unable to know which was which I just went back and chose the manual partition method. At least with that I would know that I didn't give Ubuntu of the drive when I actually wanted to give it ! ](*,)

zeroseven0183
August 27th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Can you attach a screenshot of the window?

Icarus315
August 27th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Can you attach a screenshot of the window?

Sorry, I cannot. It is part of the installation process. I'm now into a fully installed system after that step. If I went and installed VirtualBox I suppose I could get a screenshot, but, that would not provide a tangible benefit beyond my text description of the issue.

Edit: Yeah, no. I'd have to have an operating system installed in VirtualBox and then use the Ubuntu installation media side-by-side with that. Too much to do just to get a screenshot.

darkod
August 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
You're right, I have no idea why they made the image that way. From what has been seen so far, the left side is the current installation (win7 for example) and the right side will be the new ubuntu installation.

But if you are OK using the manual partitioning, that's the best way to go anyway. You have total control on partition sizes (you don't let the installer to choose the size of root and swap), you can install with separate /home partition, you have control where to install the bootloader, etc. Much, much better.

Icarus315
August 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah, manually choosing your partition setup is preferable if you are versed in those arcane incantations.. ;) The guided setup should get labels however as Ubuntu tends to be the first Linux distribution many people try!