PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 Installing Packages problem

gtess
August 27th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Hi all,

I just downloaded 12.04 in my machine. And in the Ubuntu Software Center, on the tab for Downloads, I see "Installing Packages" (see attachment). This has been there for a very long time (more than a day). I don't see the normal cancel button on the side which I can use to cancel this download.

As a result of this, I cannot download other applications. It looks like the first one must finish before it proceeds to subsequent downloads.

Could anyone please help me remove this "installing packages" and fix the problem?

Thanks a ton!

2F4U
August 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Have you already tried updating from a terminal with apt-get?

gtess
August 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Yes, I've tried with apt-get (see attachment). I get an error that says:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

I tried looking at a few forum posts related to this online, but haven't been able to fix it so far.

Thanks for any help!

siddharthshetty
August 27th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Yes, I've tried with apt-get (see attachment). I get an error that says:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

I tried looking at a few forum posts related to this online, but haven't been able to fix it so far.

Thanks for any help!

This is a very common error. 95% of the time it is becaue update manager opened up in the background and took the administrative rights.
Just update with the update manager. and try with installing something with the apt-get command. also there is a post earlier somewhere on the forum which i refered to a couple years ago for the same error.

gtess
August 27th, 2012, 11:04 AM
This is a very common error. 95% of the time it is becaue update manager opened up in the background and took the administrative rights.
Just update with the update manager. and try with installing something with the apt-get command. also there is a post earlier somewhere on the forum which i refered to a couple years ago for the same error.

What do you mean by "update with the update manager"? Also, I tried installing with apt-get and that's when I get the error.

Thanks.