PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live Install on internal HDD

Finnius
August 27th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I know how to install a live ubuntu on a USB flashdrive using various tools in windows and ubuntu.

However i want to install a live version of ubuntu on the internal hdd of my laptop, which is a ssd.

Any way to do this? Would be nice if ubuntu's "Startup Disk Creator" could do it, but it only looks like it will let you make bootable OS installs on USB devices...

Any help, or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Futant
August 27th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I thought 'live' meant run off a cd or usb stick? You can make a cd (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop) and run Ubuntu live from that, or from a usb, or you can install it, but then you are not running it live...

Finnius
August 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Yep thats what live usually means. But i want to run it live off a internal ssd hdd.
Any ideas? I cant install it because my hdd is not big enough.

Thanks

mparillo
August 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I know how to install a live ubuntu on a USB flashdrive using various tools in windows and ubuntu.

However i want to install a live version of ubuntu on the internal hdd of my laptop, which is a ssd.

Any way to do this? Would be nice if ubuntu's "Startup Disk Creator" could do it, but it only looks like it will let you make bootable OS installs on USB devices...

Any help, or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)
I think you are looking for a Frugal Install:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unetbootin/wiki/installmodes

Finnius
August 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hey,

Thanks for the info. I already use unetbootin.
The problem is, it is not on my laptop as there is no windows OS.
I cant remove the hdd as it is a mini-pci ssd hdd i think.

EDIT: Is there some type of portable unetbootin that is usb bootable? Or is this asking too much!

C.S.Cameron
August 27th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I run my EEE from a frugal install.
I installed to flash drive using UNetbootin, (I prefer the opening screen to usb-creator).
Then I cloned the system from the flash drive to the internal drive using dd.

Cheesemill
August 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
You could always boot from a Live CD and install unetbootin, then download the .iso and use unetbootin to install this onto your HD.

mparillo
August 27th, 2012, 04:46 PM
You could always boot from a Live CD and install unetbootin, then download the .iso and use unetbootin to install this onto your HD.

Be careful: When you download the .iso, it will default to your filesystem which is stored in RAM. I have frozen my live USB sessions doing something like this.

Futant
August 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Hooray for learning new things :D

Finnius
August 28th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the help.

I like the sound of Cheesemill's idea to run a live usb, then get unetbootin, however instead of downloading the .iso - i should be able to just have the .iso on another flashdrive and point unetbootin to it?

Hooray for learning new things :grin:

Thanks to all you guys! I will try this ASAP.

Cheesemill
August 28th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I like the sound of Cheesemill's idea to run a live usb, then get unetbootin, however instead of downloading the .iso - i should be able to just have the .iso on another flashdrive and point unetbootin to it?
Yep.

oldfred
August 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM
You can just use grub to loop mount the ISO. That is how I do all my Desktop installs. I originally used flash drives but now just have ISOs on hard drive. I normally put as many ISO on one flash drive as it holds, but you can use persistence also.

MultiBoot USB with Grub2 (boot directly from iso files)
Basically you just install grub2, create a folder for the isos and edit a grub.cfg to loop mount the isos.
HOWTO: Booting LiveCD ISOs from USB flash drive with Grub2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288604
http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1535864
Install grub2 to USB -general info
http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20/GRUB2%20Bash%20Commands.html#GRUB_USB

With grub2 persistent C.S.Cameron 12.04
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2042965

Finnius
August 30th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I have put Unetbootin on a live ubuntu usb system.
However when i go to 'select disk image' unetbootin cant see my flashdrive.
The only drive visible is the internal HDD!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Finnius
August 30th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Ok, solved the flashdrive problem.

However the live usb seems to be using the internal hdd for swap and when i unmount it, it freezes...

I need to unmount the internal hdd so i can repartition it and do the live install on it.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Got those problems sorted, and have formatted the internal ssd as FAT32. However unetbootin cannot see the drive. Under 'Hard Disk' in unetbootin it has a drive called "/". I think that is the system drive on the usb flashdrive isn't it?

So the problem now is that i cant use unetbootin to install to the internal hdd... as it cant see it!

C.S.Cameron
August 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Ok, solved the flashdrive problem.

However the live usb seems to be using the internal hdd for swap and when i unmount it, it freezes...

I need to unmount the internal hdd so i can repartition it and do the live install on it.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Got those problems sorted, and have formatted the internal ssd as FAT32. However unetbootin cannot see the drive. Under 'Hard Disk' in unetbootin it has a drive called "/". I think that is the system drive on the usb flashdrive isn't it?

So the problem now is that i cant use unetbootin to install to the internal hdd... as it cant see it!

When booted from the flash drive look in filesystem/cdrom.

Finnius
September 1st, 2012, 05:08 AM
I run my EEE from a frugal install.
I installed to flash drive using UNetbootin, (I prefer the opening screen to usb-creator).
Then I cloned the system from the flash drive to the internal drive using dd.

Yup. This is the best solution for me and my eee PC.
Thanks for the advice!

And wow isn't the boot time of ubuntu on an internal ssd FAST!

:guitar: