PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgraded to 12.04 a box with a bunch of blank rectangles...

ilovethislinuxstuff
August 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
showed up at the end of the upgrade. i just x'd out of. but now i'm not sure if every part of my upgrade was successful. how do i re-upgrade?

deadflowr
August 26th, 2012, 04:12 PM
What happens when you restart?
Do you login as normal, or are there problems?

ilovethislinuxstuff
August 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM
What happens when you restart?
Do you login as normal, or are there problems?

i'm able to login with no problems that i can see. however, at the point that the box with all the retangles appeared and I x'd out of it, the next box asked me if i wanted to delete some packages (maybe older packages, i don't know) and I said no to deleting them. now when I go into the software center and look at installed "unknown" packages, there are a ton of them. that's why i'm thinking maybe the install isn't perfect. i don't know...

Bucky Ball
August 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Tom Collier
August 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Just upgraded last night from 10.04 LTS to 12.04.1 LTS on an eeePC H1000 netbook. Used the Upgrade button on the Update Manager.

Took about 2.5 hours. That box appeared on the screen during my upgrade, too. I just ignored it. Everything turned out fine. All my data/files are where they are supposed to be, so onward and upward for the next 4 or 5 years......

Bucky Ball
August 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Sometimes upgrades can be problematic. I'm thinking you should have said yes to deleting the packages. Try these two commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeThe second one upgrades apps/dependencies/packages, etc, not the release. You can also try booting into the recovery kernel and choose 'Fix Broken Packages' from the options (or do it in Synaptics).

ilovethislinuxstuff
August 27th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Sometimes upgrades can be problematic. I'm thinking you should have said yes to deleting the packages. Try these two commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeThe second one upgrades apps/dependencies/packages, etc, not the release. You can also try booting into the recovery kernel and choose 'Fix Broken Packages' from the options (or do it in Synaptics).

ok, i did that and everything appears ok. what i don't understand is why i have a lot of packages listed in ubuntu software center/installed software/unknown. i have a lot of packages in the unknown category. they have the word gnome on a lot of them. isn't this 12.05 called unity? should i erase these? and how? thanks.

Bucky Ball
August 27th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Update Manager>click 'Settings' in the bottom left corner>find the Lucid repositories>untick.

That will help. If you have done an upgrade from 10.04/11.10 then you probably have some residual repos still enabled. These kind of upgrades can be problematic and a clean install is generally better (good reason to keep your data on a separate /home partition or similar setup to your OS).

dr13
August 27th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Hi
I have experienced the same situation when installing to 12.04. I did not x the book but rather "accepted" it by clicking the little book icon on it. Now when I restarted I only have access to 5 files that I have on my desktop and there is no access to a menu task bar etc.

What do I need to do to sort this problem?

dr13
August 27th, 2012, 07:02 AM
" I did not x the book"
Sorry meant box

ilovethislinuxstuff
August 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Update Manager>click 'Settings' in the bottom left corner>find the Lucid repositories>untick.

That will help. If you have done an upgrade from 10.04/11.10 then you probably have some residual repos still enabled. These kind of upgrades can be problematic and a clean install is generally better (good reason to keep your data on a separate /home partition or similar setup to your OS).

bucky-
I went to settings, but couldn't find lucid repositories?...

Bucky Ball
August 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM
In 'Other Software' tab?

ilovethislinuxstuff
August 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM
In 'Other Software' tab?

ok, i found it by going to dash home typing in "update" which gave me the folder "update manager" i clicked it and went to "settings" then "other software" and the only thing checked is
"canonical partners added by software center
sofware packaged by canonical for their partners"

stoneguy
August 28th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Don't sweat the window of squares. It's supposed to be a warning message of some sort. You can either ignore them, or click the lower right rectangle. In English language installs, those 2 squares spell "NO". (I suppose in French it has three squares and in German four :)

jeremyPDX
August 29th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Same thing happened to me on upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04.

I copied the boxes to the clipboard and quickly opened a text editor. When pasted the message appeared.

An error occurred while loading or saving
configuration info for evolution-alarm-notify.
Some of your configuration settings may
not work properly.

kansasnoob
August 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM
That's this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pango1.0/+bug/1038573

It would be nice to get more people to click on "effects me too" to turn up the bug heat ;)

ilovethislinuxstuff
August 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
ok, so maybe that was it.

the thing is, and i really have no idea what i'm doing with this computer stuff, during the installation i think i clicked "no" to something about removing old packages. I'm wondering if I have a bunch of old packages in here now from 10.04 that I don't need.

Also, when i go to shut down now, I get a black screen with a bunch of writing on it, that I didn't get before. Also, it takes longer for the boot up and shutdown now.???

black veils
August 30th, 2012, 03:31 PM
ok, so maybe that was it.

the thing is, and i really have no idea what i'm doing with this computer stuff, during the installation i think i clicked "no" to something about removing old packages. I'm wondering if I have a bunch of old packages in here now from 10.04 that I don't need.

Also, when i go to shut down now, I get a black screen with a bunch of writing on it, that I didn't get before. Also, it takes longer for the boot up and shutdown now.???

that might be trivial, you are now using unity, it must use more resources than your previous system.