PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Neil Armstrong

mips
August 25th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Neil Alden Armstrong August 5, 1930 – August 25, 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/25/us-usa-neilarmstrong-idUSBRE87O0B020120825

First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82: family

By Mary Slosson
Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:48pm EDT

(Reuters) - U.S. astronaut Neil Armstrong, who took a giant leap for mankind when he became the first person to walk on the moon, has died at the age of 82, his family said on Saturday.

The family said in a statement online that Armstrong died following complications from heart-bypass surgery he underwent earlier this month, just two days after his birthday on August 5.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he stepped on the dusty surface, Armstrong said: "“That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind."

More... (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/25/us-usa-neilarmstrong-idUSBRE87O0B020120825)

Buntu Bunny
August 26th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Very sad news indeed.

KiwiNZ
August 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I still remember that day clearly, R.I.P.

Paqman
August 26th, 2012, 07:10 AM
In their time of grief I hope his family feel real pride in the achievements of a great pilot, a humble leader and a fearless explorer.

synaptix
August 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
The world lost a great man that was a credit to our race, advancing us into the future rather than pushing us back towards the stone ages.

RIP Mr. Armstrong, you will not be forgotten!

forrestcupp
August 26th, 2012, 05:28 PM
It was all staged, people! ;)
(Just joking)

He had the right stuff.

synaptix
August 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
It was all staged, people!

That is what some say, but the Mythbusters proved them wrong!

Paqman
August 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM
It was all staged, people! ;)

Wouldn't let his boy Buzz Aldrin hear you say that if you like your teeth.

sffvba[e0rt
August 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Rip

QIII
August 26th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Although the story of Armstrong's best wishes to Mr. Grotzky is a myth, it is a good story.

Since story of Armstrong's walk on the moon is true, it is a better story.

He was an unwilling hero, yet he was a hero.

RIP.

Metallion
August 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM
My favourite Let's Player made this. Kerbal Space Program - Wink At The Moon - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4TKR3bj744)

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Did Neil Armstrong flub his quote, or was it static?

oldos2er
August 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Did Neil Armstrong flub his quote, or was it static?

I seem to recall this being discussed by Neil in 1999, 30th anniversary of the landing. He said he thought he said "one small step for a man" but that when he listened to the recordings he didn't hear it. So it was added parenthetically to the quote: "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

QIII
August 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Frankly, after all these years and all the discussion I don't remember if I heard a moment of static or not. I don't remember him saying "a". Given the nature of what was happening, I can certainly forgive him if, in the excitement of the moment, he flubbed. What he said just then is less important than what he did.

mr john
August 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Not sure if it's true or cold war propaganda, but it's always sad when another human being dies. RIP.

eddier
August 29th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Rest in peace Neil Armstrong-You were the first one there and it belongs to you.

My eldest son was born 30.6.69.( or 6.30.69) What a month!

eddie

mips
August 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I don't remember him saying "a".

I never knew there was an 'issue' around this. I just went to go look at the videos and I heard no 'a'.

Anyway, this guy is the first person to walk on the moon and people are concerned with whether there was an 'a' in the sentence or not :lolflag:

forrestcupp
August 29th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I never knew there was an 'issue' around this. I just went to go look at the videos and I heard no 'a'.

Anyway, this guy is the first person to walk on the moon and people are concerned with whether there was an 'a' in the sentence or not :lolflag:

He, himself, was pretty embarrassed about it, to the extent of having NASA try to cover it up by saying there was static and they couldn't tell for sure if he said 'a' or not. Without the 'a', what he said pretty much contradicted itself. 30 years later, he said he didn't know if he said "a man" or not. I think everyone knew what he was talking about, though.

bob-linux-user
September 4th, 2012, 11:09 PM
If you listen to the sound clip there is no space or discernible static, Neil dropped the "a". However as someone mentioned previously on this forum this should not detract one iota from his absolutely brilliant acheivement.

RIP Neil Armstrong