PDA

View Full Version : PCI PS2/USB adapter card

kurt18947
August 25th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'm going to post this as a heads-up for those who might be seeking to add a PS2 port(s) or replace a PS2 port on a MoBo that is malfunctioning. I need to use a PS2 mouse on a boot manager that I use, on one machine the boot manager does not recognize a USB mouse. On another machine a USB mouse is recognized by the boot manager so it's probably a MoBo chipset issue. Anyway I wanted to plug 2 PS2 devices in and use them in this boot manager. I found a Syba branded PCI card that has 2 PS2 ports and 2 USB ports. It uses a NEC chipset so figured I'd give it a go.

It works with Linux and Windows but not like I had hoped. The PS2 port on the MoBo is recognized and functions without any sort of device driver loaded. That is what I wanted. This PCI add-on card requires a device driver/O.S. loaded so it is not exactly what I wanted. I'm able to make it work because the boot manager recognizes a USB keyboard but not a USB mouse. I can plug a USB keyboard in when editing boot manager settings. <lspci> in a terminal shows only two additional USB entries, nothing about any other (PS2) device. I suspect there's a PS2/USB 'translator' and the PS2 ports are seen as USB devices hence the need for a driver. Anyway I hope this adds to the forum's "general fund of knowledge". I do have 'regard USB as legacy devices' - or however it's phrased - in the BIOS but that's no help.