PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 12.04 login sound

netgooroo
August 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I did a search a couple times for this so, sorry if there is a thread for this already.

I am wanting to disable the login drum sound when I log in to Ubuntu. I have 12.04 distro and, I have looked online and found more than one "fix" for this but, nothing so far has worked for me.

I have tried the following, installed and, used Ubuntu tweak, enabled login sound in startup applications, and, attempted to edit the gedit document.

Again, as I said, nothing has worked thus far. Any help with this would be appreciated. Also, I am using Gnome desktop environment.

Thanks,
netgooroo

irv
August 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM
In Ubuntu Tweak under Login Settings there is a switch to "Play Login sound:" you can switch it on or off. You need to unlock to make the change.

netgooroo
August 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM
In Ubuntu Tweak under Login Settings there is a switch to "Play Login sound:" you can switch it on or off. You need to unlock to make the change.

I appreciate your reply irv but, as I stated in my original post, I already tried this without any success. Also, when I did make the switch, it was unlocked.

Any other insight?

Thanks,
netgooroo

irv
August 25th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I appreciate your reply irv but, as I stated in my original post, I already tried this without any success. Also, when I did make the switch, it was unlocked.

Any other insight?

Thanks,
netgooroo

Someone ask a question something like yours at askubuntu. Here is the link:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/138760/changing-start-up-sound-in-ubuntu

irv
August 25th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I think it is the system-ready.ogg file you are looking at.
Edit: here is the one I use:
http://wabasha-server.net/system-ready.ogg

netgooroo
August 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks, but that thread didn't help other than pointing me to other stuff.

Once I found out how to utilize root in 12.04, I got to the dir and deleted the file as follows..

on the command line, CD to /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo once there, you can use the cammond rm filename.ogg to delete the sound file for the drum sound. In my case, this was rm system-ready.ogg.

Once the file is deleted, BAM no drums when login screen comes up. There is still a small sound but, not as anoying or, disturbing as the drums.

Hope this helps.

netgooroo

irv
August 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Why don't you mark this thread solved if you are satisfied.

netgooroo
August 26th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks IRV, done. :-D