PDA

View Full Version : Best RSS reader and RSS feeds

yeehi
August 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Which RSS reader do you like to use to get your news feeds? Do you use different ones for blogs or video feeds?

And which feeds do you like? (Especially free ones!)
Are there any that you actually pay for?

stmiller
August 25th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Liferea is a nice app:

http://liferea.sourceforge.net/

$ sudo apt-get install liferea

na5h
August 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Firefox is quite nice too with its "live bookmarks"...

mamamia88
August 25th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I prefer using greader pro on android. I don't really care for the desktop varieties of google reader i've tried.

zer010
August 25th, 2012, 03:51 PM
For the few that I follow, I just use Thunderbird. Email and feeds in one easy place.

y6FgBn)~v
August 25th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I use the one built into the Opera browser to follow the few I subscribe to.

jfmd
August 25th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I've tried many of them and Lightread is easily my favorite reader, it's in the USC and is just great.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YQlp0VUvLZo/UDk1m-hxFrI/AAAAAAAAbzc/AwYDeWWnUDI/s1041/lightread.jpg

Buntu Bunny
August 26th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I've tried many of them and Lightread is easily my favorite reader, it's in the USC and is just great.

I've been using Liferea but always appreciate a recommendation. Thanks!

jfmd
August 26th, 2012, 02:32 AM
One thing I forgot to mention, lightread is soley google reader based.

drawkcab
August 27th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Google Currents on android. Waiting for flipboard to mature.

vexorian
August 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM
It was a GNOME app (Possibly Liferea, I don't remember) that got me started to the world of RSS, but eventually. I really think the best you can do with RSS feed readers is use a web site. I think applications in Linux/GNU tend to be very good, but the thing with RSS is that, specially if you use multiple computers and platforms, it is more practical to track the RSS you have already read if you use a web site.

Unfortunately, RSS web sites have been a chain of fail lately. I initially used bloglines, which back in its day was actually cool. Then some company bought it and redesigned into an awful website that was not as useful. Forced me to look for alternatives until I eventually settled with Google reader.

Then Google reader went through ridiculous changes itself. I still use it but it is far less useful without the share option.

Paqman
August 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Google Reader is full of win. Having a single reader that tracks what I've read and what I haven't across all PCs and my phone is a killer feature.