PDA

View Full Version : Developing Android apps on Ubuntu

orrorin
August 25th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Are there any android app developers here who use Ubuntu+Eclipse+AndroidEmulator?

I was trying to use the above setup inside a VirtualBox VM and the emulator seems to wait perpetually. Eclipse console shows a message to the effect that the emulator is waiting for HOME (process.android.acore) to start.

I want to know if this happens on native hardware (no Virtual Machine) as well.

satsujinka
August 25th, 2012, 04:53 AM
The emulator is really slow. It takes aprox. 5-10 min. to start up for the first time on hardware. Virtualized... prepare to double that time (as a guess.)
The wait for home is just eclipse waiting for android to signal that it's at the home screen.

orrorin
August 26th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the response.

There was no change after running for about 32 minutes.

The emulator on the Windows7 host (on the same machine) works in less than 2 minutes.

Is there any place that I can look at the logs to see what's happening?

mevun
August 26th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I think if it hangs there, then it is buggy and is having some sort of trouble with its configuration. So then I delete the AVD and re-create it. Or you can create a new one with a new name, but the same config settings that you had for your old one. Maybe I am wrong and you should just re-start it when it seems to hang. That would be a case where there is a race condition bug where it just happened to get stuck.

Anyway, I am pretty sure if it took you 2 minutes in Win7, then the time on Ubuntu should be about the same. So when it is taking longer, then at least stop and try re-starting it.

bud986
August 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I use ubuntu and eclipse for dev work depending on your machine the emulator can be a bit sluggish, best option is proably to have a and android device plugged in for testing :)

satsujinka
August 27th, 2012, 12:40 AM
If you're not using it, you could take a look at the output of logcat. Eclipse has the ability to view the log, though I can't walk you through enabling it at the moment.

orrorin
August 27th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I tried deleting and re-creating the AVD but it was of no use. "adb logcat" didn't show anything, but "adb devices" shows the avd is "offline".

tienlbhoc
August 27th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I use bluestack (android 2.3) with window, it is really faster than emulator,
open it and go to cmd:

adb connect 127.0.0.1

or

adb kill-server
adb devices

You can use android 4.0 with vmware, virtual box , too. I use vmware player with it, install busydos, type :

netcfg

and in win i use

adb connect <ip address in netcfg>

virtualbox can run in linux, android 4.0 for desktop, please google

satsujinka
August 27th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Without a log it's sort of hard to identify the issue. So just a quick check, are you using 64bit Ubuntu? If you are, do you have all the 32bit libraries installed?

mevun
August 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Without a log it's sort of hard to identify the issue. So just a quick check, are you using 64bit Ubuntu? If you are, do you have all the 32bit libraries installed?

Other things to check: are you using Sun/Oracle JDK? (i.e. not the open jdk that comes with Ubuntu)

I also read that you need to use an older version of the C compiler (gcc 4.4 instead of gcc 4.6), but don't know for sure if that is true.

orrorin
August 28th, 2012, 01:07 AM
the Ubuntu version is 12.04(32-bit) and Sun/Oracle JDK 7.

jaithehulk
September 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Instead of using VMware... can the android SDK be installed on Ubuntu? and then the emulator be used with Eclipse and java-sdk?.. so the loading time of emulators would be less?