PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Crazy ubuntu

blackmail
August 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Ok, so the thing is that lately many applications just crash for the fun of it, and after restarting them they work, like docky, cairo dock newly, pidgin, thunderbird, and also if i leave my computer alone it locks itself, but lately, the screen remains either black and only the lock sign is displayed, and no password prompt, or the screen is white-ish, i can see the open windows but it all appears whitened as if i would have the backlight set to 400%, and it doesn't react, the cursor moves but it doesn't react to show a password prompt or something...
How could i start solving this problem...

also lately i cannot install updates, the only way it works is with the:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade command, i have 12.04 installed...

grahammechanical
August 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
In System Settings>Brightness and lock you can set Turn Screen Off to Never and also set Screen Lock to Off.

Does this not work on your machine?

Regards.

blackmail
November 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
sorry for the really really late reply, the problem was not with the brightness, it was some service that i had to disable, so when resurrecting my omputer from suspend, i have to go ctrl+alt+F2 and just disable a servic and after doing this several times it just stopped, the screen was only white and nothing on it, it was not a brightness peoblem. To anyone who has the same problem and don't want to restart the computer a solution would be do stop lightdm and then start it back again, so ctrl+alt+F2, after that enter your user and password.

then go type:

sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm stop

and then again

sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm start

and the login window should appear if not just hit the ctrl+alt+F7 combination
Cheers