PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow 12.04.1 compared to 11.10

rsotol028
August 24th, 2012, 11:54 PM
hi,
i tried the ubuntu versions since 8.04 i guess.
the last i have was 11.10. it is fast livecd to bootup
but today i get the 12.04.1 version and it is like 4 or 5 times slow than 11.10.
why?

black veils
August 25th, 2012, 07:03 AM
are you only referring to live mode or do you also mean with an installed Ubuntu?

if you need a lighter system, you could change your desktop environment, or install another distro with an alternative desktop environment.

desktops:
xfce
lxde
enlightenment

distros:
xubuntu
linux mint xfce
lubuntu
bodhi

2F4U
August 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
It is no secret that desktop environments such as Gnome, KDE, Unity, etc. are requiring better hardware with every software release. Ubuntu in particular also starts a lot of applications and daemons in the background in oder to provide a certain user experience and to make it more simple for new users to convert to Ubuntu. However, this is not different from, for example, the Windows world.
If you don't need all the bling bling or are not willing to continuously invest in better hardware, you should go for a desktop environment or maybe even for a different Ubuntu derivative. Xubuntu and Lubuntu, for example, are much lighter on resources and many applications present on Ubuntu are missing (a prominent example is the zeitgeist daemon, which can consume a lot of resources).

rsotol028
August 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM
i only used livecd. and the speed boot its totally different from 11.10 to 12.04.1 version. 12.04.1 is very slow compared to the past year version.
like 4, to 5 times or more.
i tried in the same laptop. total different speeds.

black veils
August 25th, 2012, 07:30 PM
make a live disc of xubuntu or lubuntu instead

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM
i am guessing the OP did a upgrade via the update manager, should be much faster with a clean install
*i am waiting till April to upgrade from 10.04, i think i might do a little testing today though