PDA

View Full Version : Compiling blcr, trouble with kernel build path

threepoint14
August 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM
This must be an easy one. I need to compile the static library (libcr.a) for blcr, however the configure script keeps giving me a hard time about the location of the kernel build files. For example:

checking for Linux kernel build in /usr/src/linux-3.2.0-29-generic-obj... not found
checking for Linux kernel build in /usr/src/linux-3.2.0-29-generic... include/linux/version.h missing
checking for Linux kernel build in /usr/src/kernels/3.2.0-29-generic... not found
configure: error: Could not find a directory containing a Linux kernel 3.2.0-29-generic build. Perhaps try --with-linux=FULL_PATH_TO_KERNEL_BUILD
What do I need to install to allow this to compile? I've tried referring it to the headers folders, and to the unzipped linux-source-3.2.0 folder, but it is still unsatisfied. Am I misunderstanding its needs?

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2012, 12:10 AM
include/linux/version.h no longer exists in the kernel. Find out which kernel versions are compatible with what you want to build.

MadCow108
August 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
blcr does not work with kernels newer than 2.6.38, its not just a compilation problem, it simply won't work.
Latest upstream news entry:

October 11, 2011
Version 0.8.4 is now available from the Checkpoint Downloads page.
This version fixes some minor bugs, and extends support to kernels through 2.6.38.
https://ftg.lbl.gov/projects/CheckpointRestart/

threepoint14
September 1st, 2012, 02:31 AM
Thanks, I just gave up on this effort. I wanted it for use with mpich2 running a fortran code, but it turned out that openmpi was faster on my system, and did not require libcr. Easy fix!