PDA

View Full Version : Are ppl getting more vicious here ?!

jvictor
June 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Recently I've started coming across posts where people are trying to get at each other , sling , try to put down each other , debate and fight it out with thier nails and tooth ! :twisted:

Is this community getting hijacked by a gang of vicious members ? I've been with this community for quite some time now and I slowly see that the 'tone' is changing. This is the last thing that we want to happen :rolleyes:

Brunellus
June 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Recently I've started coming across posts where people are trying to get at each other , sling , try to put down each other , debate and fight it out with thier nails and tooth ! :twisted:

Is this community getting hijacked by a gang of vicious members ? I've been with this community for quite some time now and I slowly see that the 'tone' is changing. This is the last thing that we want to happen :rolleyes:
Viciousness is a function of the tediousness of many threads, especially arguments which merely rehash the same tired troll lines.

If you've sat through three or four ubuntu release cycles, it also gets tiresome to hear the same OMFGZ UBUNTU ISN'T READY FOR THE DESKTOP thread.

ubuntu-geek
June 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Aye, its the nature of the *beast/forum* to attract this type of argumentative and troll like behavior out of some people. All we can do is try to moderate that as best as possible to provide a good atmosphere for the visitors here.

fuscia
June 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
seems pleasant to me.

Biltong (Dee)
June 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM
...and me.
Perhaps he has been hanging out in the Backyard?

Bloch
June 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
All the same, people should try to be a bit tolerant with new users who think linux on the desktop was invented yesterday.
Some may just wish to let the world know they are using ubuntu, many are schoolkids, some don't know about the search tool. And even if they do, they cannot be certain old advice applies to the current version.

I enjoy reading new users first experiences and don't think people are trolls just because they describe their difficulties. And generally on these forums they get a good hearing.

ubuntu-geek
June 27th, 2006, 05:25 PM
...and me.
Perhaps he has been hanging out in the Backyard?
The backyard.. sigh...

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
The backyard.. sigh...

The backyard isn't a bad place....No trolling going on there...

I know this is a tech forum and having a place like the backyard is greatly appreciated and a sign of intuitive knowledge, as people are multi-dimensional. Satisfying those other parts of a person is what keeps these forums vibrant and exciting. Probably alot more extra work than you bargained for however. Your doing a great job BTW---keep it up!!

mips
June 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Pity them, they have nothing better...

prizrak
June 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Yes we are more vicious Ima bust a cap in your *** foo!!! ;) Nah I don't think it's gotten bad some members might be a bit more argumentative than others and some are plain stubborn but that's normal. I have seen even the same old "Ubuntu isn't ready" threads recieve thoughtful and even helpful advice attempting to actually solve the issues.

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Yes we are more vicious Ima bust a cap in your *** foo!!! ;) Nah I don't think it's gotten bad some members might be a bit more argumentative than others and some are plain stubborn but that's normal. I have seen even the same old "Ubuntu isn't ready" threads recieve thoughtful and even helpful advice attempting to actually solve the issues.
YO, BROOKLYN!!!! I agree, but then again, we New Yorkers are usually up for a good debate more than many others; aren't afraid to mix it up a little and still walk away as friends!!! YO!

BTW How bout' those METS!!!!!!!

fuscia
June 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
red sox > mets

Brunellus
June 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
let's not get sidetracked into getting vicious about baseball.

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
red sox > mets

Tonight, Baby!!!! YEA!!!!

I promise that will be all I say about baseball on this thread!! Just could't hepl myself:-#:D

jvictor
June 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Its not that since some one says blah blah one is gng to plan to hire some goons to deal with him , its just the way a new person perceives how ppl are on this forum and may even turn away bcoz of the 'newbie' syndrome

If I recollect there are a handful of threads that never talk to the point at hand but have been hijacked by some so-called 'knowledgeable beings' and has gone into arguing rather than trying to look at the problem and give a solution.

You can choose to tell

"What u r talking is rubbishh... this is ridiculous" and so on
or just say
"I'd choose to disagree on this bcoz of X, Y, Z"

When I came in last year I found following most of the threads following the 2nd tone , but today its transfrming into a debian forum , where u need to take a life insurance to just browse the topics.. and be lucky to be alive after reading a thread.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I had a bit of a time yesterday with acht.

John.Michael.Kane
June 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
As Clint Eastwood said "Do You Feel Lucky? Well Do You Punk!."

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM
As Clint Eastwood said "Do You Feel Lucky? Well Do You Punk!."
No.

fuscia
June 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
where u need to take a life insurance to just browse the topics.. and be lucky to be alive after reading a thread.

i don't mean to be vicious, but that's a bit of a stretch. if anything, i find the place getting more civilized. for example: the last couple of 'gnome or kde' threads i've been in have been reasonably constructive with many people realizing that a lot of us use both. there's always going to be someone who's a little snippy, but surely, we must have room in our hearts for them as well, no?

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
i would like to thank everyone for all the help (except for bruce89, he was just mean)
A wee snippet of what we are referring to, even after this.

It might be advisable to set up a /home partition so it doesn't happen again - http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome.html
Actually, I'm just after sympathy.

jvictor
June 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
well there are still those non-brute , civilzed ppl around here which is one of the main reasons why this forum rocks, but even they may get snubbed if one fine day a guy shoots out wt he feels b4 thinking abt it for a moment , and that can bring in the 'broken window' effect where ppl start leaving or lose interest and finally we are left with a bunch of egoistic stubborn argumentative individuals :)

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Its not that since some one says blah blah one is gng to plan to hire some goons to deal with him , its just the way a new person perceives how ppl are on this forum and may even turn away bcoz of the 'newbie' syndrome

If I recollect there are a handful of threads that never talk to the point at hand but have been hijacked by some so-called 'knowledgeable beings' and has gone into arguing rather than trying to look at the problem and give a solution.

You can choose to tell

"What u r talking is rubbishh... this is ridiculous" and so on
or just say
"I'd choose to disagree on this bcoz of X, Y, Z"

When I came in last year I found following most of the threads following the 2nd tone , but today its transfrming into a debian forum , where u need to take a life insurance to just browse the topics.. and be lucky to be alive after reading a thread.

The good news is that after it is all over (mixing it up that is) you find you've survived and now know you can take it. You're wiser, smarter and a have a fresh Clint Eastwood type of scar on you.. Who could ask for anything more!!

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM
With 129,000 members, I think there are plenty of non-mad ones here.

jvictor
June 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM
LOL :D

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM
LOL :D
Mind you, I've come across 2 bannings personally.

John.Michael.Kane
June 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I don't think the responce one would get on here are mean. i don't seen no one saying rtfm. or yelling search the flipping site before you post. for the most part users who ask questions that are repeats of old are shown a link to the thread with answers to their question. Not ever user will like the answer they get thus peg the responce as unneeded or mean.

aysiu
June 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I agree with bruce89 and ubuntu-geek.

It's a function of the Ubuntu Forums' growth. As you attract more people, you also attract more trolls seeking attention.

Look at the Kubuntu Forums--very few people... also very few trolls.

fuscia
June 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Look at the Kubuntu Forums--very few people... also very few trolls.

tons of crickets.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Isn't it a bit daft having 2 forums, is it because they thought KDE was getting less attention here? I suppose that is true, as less people seem to use Kubuntu than Ubuntu. I heard one saying that they can't promote Kubuntu without promoting GNOME, which is true sort of.

aysiu
June 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Isn't it a bit daft having 2 forums, is it because they thought KDE was getting less attention here? I suppose that is true, as less people seem to use Kubuntu than Ubuntu. I heard one saying that they can't promote Kubuntu without promoting GNOME, which is true sort of.
When the Kubuntu Forums first came out, there were raging debates about its existence.

I was one of the first people to cry "Fragmentation of the community! This is an outrage!" But more reasonable voices made me see the light.

As you can probably tell, there's been no fragmentation and no ill effects. The only benefits I see to the Kubuntu Forums right now are:

1. They have fewer trolls--support only. Not a lot of extra noise.
2. You don't have people giving you instructions to "just" gedit something or sending you screenshots of Nautilus.
3. Very few KDE v. Gnome debates.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Mabye there should be a Xubuntu forum too then. If people here didn't notice that some people use KDE, then it wouldn't have split, would it?
There used to be a seperate Kubuntu forum here, where is it; as it is a bit difficult to realise whether somebody uses GNOME/KDE/Xfce.

aysiu
June 27th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Mabye there should be a Xubuntu forum too then. If people here didn't notice that some people use KDE, then it wouldn't have split, would it?
There used to be a seperate Kubuntu forum here, where is it; as it is a bit difficult to realise whether somebody uses GNOME/KDE/Xfce.
Well, to be precise, it didn't exactly split.

It wasn't a whole contingent of people who felt disenfranchised and left these forums.

It was one person, a Kubuntu user, who said, "Hey, there's no forum dedicated to just Kubuntu. Maybe I'll make one," and did.

So, if you feel like starting up a forum for Xubuntu, no one's going to stop you.

If there's one thing I've found in the Ubuntu community (and this may also be true for Linux and open source in general, too--I don't know) in the past year, it's that things usually get done because someone actually decided to do it, not just because it was a good idea in theory to do.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
It was one person, a Kubuntu user, who said, "Hey, there's no forum dedicated to just Kubuntu. Maybe I'll make one," and did.
I suppose it makes sense. I don't see any link to it from this forum though.

So, if you feel like starting up a forum for Xubuntu, no one's going to stop you.
I can't be bothered, I only use it every month (waiting for firefox to render on a celery 300 is not much fun). Of course, if someone else wants to, fine.

What is interesting is the Transport Tycoon Forums (http://www.tt-forums.net/). They have numerous games' forums there including Locomotion, Transport Tycoon, TTDPatch, OpenTTD (my favourite), Transport Empire and Simutrans. These are all similar, but slightly different.

ubuntu-geek
June 27th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Look at the tags appended to each post in various sections of the site, Dapper for example. You can then use the tag filter to select which flavor you wish to see. To add a seperate section for just Xubuntu, Edubuntu right now would not be worth the resources. Tagging works pretty well once its adapated and the user understands how easy it is to use the filters :)

If you need help let me know.