PDA

View Full Version : Piper at the Gates of Dawn

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f3/PinkFloyd-album-piperatthegatesofdawn.jpg/200px-PinkFloyd-album-piperatthegatesofdawn.jpg

I really liked this album. It was Pink Floyds debut album and all the songs were written by Syd Barret which would explain how original they are. Some are upbeat and uplifting (the Gnome) and some are extremely bizarre like Pow R Toc H where Syd makes bird & animal noises noises during most of the song and Intersteller Overdrive is a 9 minutes of rock and cool sound effects, although it can get a little old after you've listened to it a couple of times.

If your a fan of Pink Floyd or just rock music in general you have to get Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I've got the UK release that has 11 songs, the US release only has 9 and doens't include Astronomy Domine (which is really good) and Bike. They substituted See Emily Play for those 2 songs in the US release but I've never listened to it.

Agree, disagree, comments?

raublekick
June 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd has Astronomy Domine, Bike, and See Emily Play, which is very nice. I hate buying imports.

Biltong (Dee)
June 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I actually don't have that one - but I will hunt it down :-)
My favourite album is the Final Cut, followed by The Wall. I have the wall live in Berlin as well, but it is on two cassettes. That is really something to listen to!
Another favourite is Roger Waters Radio K.A.O.S.

Castar
June 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I have it, but I have to admit it's not my favourite PF album. It is so bizarre that it will never be the gems Dark Side of the Moon/Wish you were here are.

And I only recently came to the conclusion that the Dark Side is better than The Wall. It's a matter of oppinion, of course. :cool:

PryGuy
June 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Got a DVD about Syd the other day. The man was outstanding, but it couldn't last forever. But he gave the future Pink Floyd a great boost! Barret was a breathe of a fresh air, and his lyrics remind me of Carrol's Alice. There's something British in it! :D

It's nice to see Pink Floyd lovers here!:D

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Got a DVD about Syd the other day. The man was outstanding, but it couldn't last forever. But he gave the future Pink Floyd a great boost! Barret was a breathe of a fresh air, and his lyrics remind me of Carrol's Alice. There's something British in it! :D

It's nice to see Pink Floyd lovers here!:D
Yeah, I'm downloa... i mean buying all of their albums. So far I've got The Wall (on tape and DVD) Dark side of the moon, obscured by clouds, animals, wish you were here, and piper at the gates of dawn.

Are you a member of the All Pink Floyd Fan Network APFFN?
http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/f667-forums.html

graabein
June 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
That's my favorite Pink Floyd album and I have both stereo and mono editions. I love Syd Barrett and have his three solo albums. I don't listen to Pink Floyd much anymore but I still love piper. You have the first part of sort of secret agent music then you have a middle freak out section with the record winding out with sort of funny children songs. A great album.

I can recommend the biography "Lost in the Woods" by Julian Palacios for those interested in Syd Barrett, early Pink Floyd and the London underground scene of the late sixties.