PDA

View Full Version : IDE - which is the best?

Linux_junkie
August 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hello, with so many IDE's available for download and use for several computer languages I am interested in knowing what IDE you like to use (regardless of computer language) and why you use that particular IDE. Or are you a "hardcore" programmer and just use a text editor and compile your code using the CLI?

I have just downloaded both Eclipse and Geany to use whilst I'm learning / studying how to write using Java. At the moment not sure which I will keep and which to remove, but I will be trying them both.

Oh 'eck! I wanted the title to say "IDE - which do you prefer" but cannot change it now.

hakermania
August 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I, as the most programmers out there, begun with using a text editor, like gedit, and compiling through CLI. It is not a good practice to start directly from an IDE that does most of the usual work for you because you cannot easily understand many things.

But, after learning the very basics I moved to QtCreator and I just stayed there. It is awesome! A very stable, very well documented and feature rich IDE! Not to mention that it provides you with an infinite number of ready libraries to work with.

I've tested Eclipse and I liked it, but I don't think that there's something better than QtCreator out there as for programming in C++.

Nytram
August 24th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Most of the time I use Geany as I don't need the bells&whistles of a full-blown IDE, although for GUI work in Java I use Netbeans with its built-in designer. On Windows I use VS because it's the best IDE for coding C# IMO.

Primefalcon
August 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I use geany or vim mostly

sffvba[e0rt
August 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

wojox
August 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Geany and plugins.

Ravi5kumar
August 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Code blocks is best............

MG&TL
August 25th, 2012, 08:41 AM
If you're working on GNOME stuff, give Anjuta a go. It's really improved over last few releases, and it's looking really good.

<carrot> It'll even do autoconf for you </carrot>

Normally, however, vim and geany are great for me.