PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 on Macbook Pro 8.2 Graphics Card Issue

basketballjones
August 23rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my MacBook Pro 8.2 so that I can dualboot. Installation went fine and everything seems to be working great except for one thing. Every once in a while, the screen will either become split down the middle and the right half of the screen shows what should be on the left half of the screen, and vice-versa. Down the middle of the screen is a black bar. Typically when this happens, I close my laptop and open it and I am able to log back in to the session and everything is back to normal. However, this happens a lot and gets really annoying after a while. Sometimes closing the laptop doesn't work and I have to reboot.

It seems to me to be a problem with the graphics card, but I am really new to Ubuntu and don't know much about hardware. Anyone care to help?

NH2G
August 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I has occurred on mine as well. I appeared to be a problem with the EFI boot process that, in my case, was triggered by starting up with an improper display resolution from improperly disconnecting from an external display. I found solutions at Macrumors forums and I will find a link to one of them shortly. Also this problem is not limited to Ubuntu it effects Windows on Bootcamp as well. If you are on Snow Leopard, an upgrade to Mountain Lion will fix that, but wait for a stability update.

UPDATE: I can not find any of the threads. I know exactly what you are talking about, but I do not remember how to fix it. I believe it may be that you must clear your NVRAM which is done through startup commands. I am sorry I could not be more helpful.

basketballjones
August 31st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Does anybody else have a suggestion? I really am at a loss here, and it seems to be happening more frequently now. Incredibly frustrating to get any work done if I have to reboot every half hour.