PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] + [lubuntu] Some applications use metric Gigabyte instead of Gibibyte

UriSmith
August 23rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
I have recently noticed that PCmanFM (lubuntu) and the Disk Utility tool display disk size in Metric units.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to give up the binary unit (KiB,MiB,GiB,etc.) when referring to file size and disk capacity but right now in Ubuntu nautilus reports everything in binary while using the ambiguous KB/MB/GB terminology while at the same time Disk Utility reports everything in metric units.

In Lubuntu, PCmanFM does now everything in metric units, which sort of pisses me off because there is no way to turn it off and all other software reports file size in binary. Also file size reported on the internet is usually also in the "binary mode" in which 1 KiB is 1024 bytes and not 1000.

Why didn't we just stick to the nice, not ambiguous, fantastic KiB/MiB/GiB units?

beboylips
August 24th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Files are stored using binary (1024 bytes / kilobyte). Storage is measured using metric (1000 KB = 1 MiB). Historically, it has been so. Go fight traditionalism.

mcduck
August 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Files are stored using binary (1024 bytes / kilobyte). Storage is measured using metric (1000 KB = 1 MiB). Historically, it has been so. Go fight traditionalism.

Actually, historically the storage was measured in binary as well. It wasn't until hard drives got to GB sizes when the manufacturers decided that using 1000 as multiplier would give the drives prettier looking sizes... :D

I still have my old 256MB (268435456B, as written on the label) hard drive somewhere around... :D

Anyway, the reason for different units used in different programs is simply that they are made by different people. In the end there is no "we" who could decide and tell everybody to use one unit or other.

beboylips
August 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I learn something new every day. :)